software update - have you reverted?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by newfoundglory, May 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I can't stand the MAS any more!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

How did you get that back?

3. macrumors regular

ac3320

The MAS does suck big A. Apple really got retarded on us with like twelve "stores" for which to find/purchase digital content. One has to ask themselves, "Should I get this [random digital thingy] on the iTunes Store, the Apple Online Store App, or the Mac App Store?" So stupid.

But yeah, how did you get the old school software update back? I used Pacifist to simultaneously run AirPort Utility 6.0 and 5.6.6.6.6. or whatever it was, and life is sweet. Note that I cannot get Back to My Mac to work on ML DP3 w/o using AirPort Utility 6.0.

4. macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

I was able to launch it from my Lion install and it worked fine, so I'm assuming this is what you did?

5. newfoundglory, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah!

6. macrumors 603

"I was able to launch it from my Lion install and it worked fine"

Where does one go to find it on the Lion install volume?

7. macrumors 6502a

What is that, and what digital things can you buy there?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Its in /System/Library/CoreServices

9. macrumors 6502

The Mac App Store is great. I much prefer being able to bring my Mac entirely up to date with just a single click.

Of all the changes Mountain Lion brings, this is the one that I am least able to understand criticism of.

10. macrumors regular

I'm just not fond of the fact that I have to open something called a store to update components that I'm not buying/haven't bought. It seems counter-intuitive.

11. macrumors 6502

It's where you buy Mountain Lion from.

12. macrumors regular

What if the OS came with my computer? What about obscure updates to components like Java updates and the likes?

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

Why when you get half way through a MAS download can't you cancel? You can't even close the MAS without a force-quit, and then worse, your download will fail from that point on as the MAS thinks it download the whole file and tries to install it... Apple I demand you bring back the STOP button!!!!!

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

You get free apps from the App Store too. Same thing.

15. macrumors 6502

Ok, im bumping this thread because I want to know if it is possible to use the old Software Update instead of the App store when clicking software update in the Apple menu.

I copied Lions Software Update to the /System/Library/CoreServices in my Mountain Lion partition. It works, as you can see from my picture, just not from the Apple menu.

Attached Files: