Software update just killed my osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dragon2611, Jan 13, 2007.

1. dragon2611 macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    Ive recently changed the harddrive in my macbook for a 120gb.

Installed Osx from the cds that came with the mac.

Installed bootcamp and windows.

installed Refit to give me a boot menu

Went to do a software update but it was late so i decided to abort it and did an improper shutdown on powering on my mac in the morning i get the error.

kernal panic, unable to find a driver for this platform "acpi"

ok so thats probably me killing it mid software update fair enough. (although i hadn't got as far as the combo update yet so i figured worst id do was bugger qucktime or somit)

So anyway pop osx disc in, do archive and install get a nice working OSX back.

Do a software update again.

Gets to the 10.4.8 combo updates, downloads expands installs.

Error cannot install this update please try again later.

Bang kernal panel Unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI" :eek:

i've googled this error and most of the stuff i find seems to be with regards to running a cracked osx on a non apple computer where as in my case its a Macbook and the osx discs i used to install off of are the ones that came with it.

Do you think the refit efi bootmenu could be messing it up, perhaps i sould install that After the update.

EDIT: I'll try formating my osx partion and loading it again from scratch.
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    I don't see how your problems are Software Update's fault but, yes, start the process over and completely install OS-X before installing the other stuff. Good luck.
  3. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    Becuase i did an archive and install on the installion i killed which gave me a working 10.4.6.

Ran software update let it run though got to the 10.4.8 update, which failed to install and killed it again.

Now trying it on a completely clean install.

Edit: Clean install seems to have fixed it.