Software Update keeps on timing out. Any clues?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kji, Jan 31, 2007.

1. kji macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was reinstalling OS X Tiger on my PowerBook G4 (the last ones in production), and while running Software update I keep on getting timed out on SOME updates.

It was as if the updates that have direct ties to OS X (ex. OS X updates, iLife updates) were problematic.

So, I switch over to my Intel MacMini and have the same time out problem with an iChat update and a AirPort Extreme update.

The internet connection seems fine on both computers

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Queso macrumors G4

Try running the Terminal version of the command

First type "login root" into the terminal and enter your root password when prompted.

Then type "SoftwareUpdate -i -a"

3. kji thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason my root password for "login root" wouldn't work, but "sudo" seems to have work?

More importantly, the time out error persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

4. kji thread starter macrumors newbie

well,

I took my PowerBook home, and the SoftwareUpdate at home went without problems... :confused:

My guess is that there's something fishy going on in the school network server.

Does anyone know whether SoftwareUpdate requires a specific TCP/IP port to be accessable on the computer?

*edit: I found the list of ports at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm having problems with mine. I never installed tiger .9 and i tried the terminal and my password doesn't work :confused:
    I deleted the .plist file and trashed it, and i tried do it again and it freezes so i went to delete the .plist file, but now i don't have one any ideas

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I tried opening disk utility to repair permissions and that too just hangs... i don't think i'm gonna like the out come of this