Software Update loves Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Sep 20, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Here is the problem, in Mac OS X whenever I use Software Update and install an update that requires to restart the wierdest thing happens. When I click the "restart" button on the Software Update window my iBook restarts to Mac OS 9.2. Now I have a Clamshell iBook 466mhz DVD FW SE, now I am running Mac OS X 10.1.5, I have Mac OS 9.2 on a partition. So I have two partitions, one with Mac OS X and one with Mac OS 9. So why is Software Update restarting to OS 9? Help please...:rolleyes:

2. neilt macrumors regular

have you checked the startup disk pref pane on the OS X side to make sure it is pointed at your os x system folder.
    neil

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

yeah it is set to Mac OS X, I'm still stumped though...:confused:

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have the exact same iBook (Graphite) with OS 9.2 and 10.1.5 on a single partition.

When did you last reset the open firmware? Boot up in OS X and hold down
    Apple - Option - O - F... then type in
    reset-all

When was the last time you did an fsck -y? (Boot up in OS X and hold Apple - S. When you get to [localhost]... type in

fsck -y

If there are any errors, run it again.
    When the file system check comes back with no errors, hit control - D to continue booting.

Many times people have problems with more than one partition for one Hard Drive. I suggest, if you can't get around this problem, that you install OS 9.2 and OS 10.1.5 on a single partition if you are not getting Jaguar for a while. Bring all your important files from your OS X partition to your OS 9 partition. Install OS X over the OS 9 partition and initialize just the empty partition. But only do this if you are still having problems and if you feel this is a big deal.

If you are having problems with Software Update, though, I find going to Apple's Site and downloading everything from there to be much easier. :p

5. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hhhmmm...

Well I'm gonna get an external HD becuase It's hell to put a bigger HD in the old iBooks. So I won't do anything until I buy Jaguar and my new firewire extrenal hard drive. Thanks for the info though. I have a Key Lime and you have a Graphite... thats cool :)