Software Update not checking every day

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by kbmb, Oct 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 68030

kbmb

So according to this page, it says ML is supposed to check for new software everyday:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#security

However that's not the case on my machine....and looking online it seems it's not the case for a lot of people. Looking at the plist file, it seems mine is set to check every 7 days. That's crazy in my opinion.

There is an article here on how to manually change it:
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/30/change-software-update-frequency-os-x-mountain-lion/

What's funny is this is an upgrade from Lion....where I HAD it set to check everyday.

Are other people seeing this as well?

-Kevin

2. thread starter macrumors 68030

kbmb

So I went ahead and did the following Terminal command:

Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate ScheduleFrequency 1
    And my Software Update happily notified me of the iPhoto update this afternoon.

Not sure if you have to....but I did restart just to make sure the pref would take.

-Kevin

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

kbmb

Just an update to this.....my Pref file still lists the Frequency of 1.....but it hasn't checked since 10/10.....3 days ago.

The Critical check happens everyday, but it seems the daily check isn't happening.

Why is it Apple can't seem to get some basic things right?

-Kevin

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

kbmb

I'm convinced this defaults write doesn't help. It still isn't checking SU everyday except for the critical patches.

I even wiped the plist, had it recreated and did the defaults write again....it's 10/19 and hasn't checked since 10/16.

I'm going to leave it alone and see if Apple just hard coded it to check every 7 days regardless of what is in the plist.

-Kevin

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

kbmb

Well sure enough.....even though I changed the file to set the frequency to 1, it is still only checking every 7 days.

It checked on 10/17 and now again on 10/24.

So it looks like Apple is ignoring that pref or the syntax is incorrect.

-Kevin