Software Update not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dsharits, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Software Update refuses to work on my iBook G4 (10.4). I open it up, it shows me the window and the progress bar makes no progress. I have tried reinstalling OS X , and I have tried manually updating to 10.4.1 with no new results. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

have you tried it on different internet connections? maybe it is your internet.

and did you try possibly deleting preference for software update

3. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I have tried it on different connections, but I have not trashed the preference file. I'll try that right now. Thanks!

4. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Well, negative on the trashing of the pref file. It didn't change anything. Anything else to try?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

do you have a separate firewall possibly that is blocking the port in which the software update connects through?

6. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Well, here's the thing. My Power Mac has no trouble with Software Update, and it's on the same network, connected to the same AirPort Express.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

welp i'm outa ideas except call apple.

sorry i couldn't help

8. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Hey, I appreciate the attempt! I'm stumped as well, so I may end up calling Apple. I just wanted to see if anyone on these boards has dealt with anything like this before.

9. firewizard macrumors member

10. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Mine's a little different. When I open Software Update, the progress bar in the sheet that says "Checking for new software" never makes any progress. It gets to about a quarter of an inch and sits there forever, almost like there's no connection. I know there's a connection, because everything else works fine, and it never tells me that there is no connection. I could leave it for a month, if I wanted to, and the progress bar would still be there, having not moved at all.

11. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I am very happy to report that the 10.4.2 update fixed the problem. I don't have any idea what was wrong, but it's fixed now, so I really don't care. :D
    Thanks for the help, everybody.

12. firewizard macrumors member

man wish i could say the same this is killing me, i updated to 10.4.2 and i still have the same exact problem with software update as in the thread i posted earlier http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=135248

im not a programmer at all wish i knew what that malloc stuff was and how to fix it,

well if anyone can help it would be great

HJW