Software Update Power Failure or Hardware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grapes911, Oct 20, 2005.

1. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I up running Software Update on an older G4 PowerMac at work. During the update, the power went out. I couldn't boot in to OS X. It would boot normally, but at the last second, it would boot into a shell and ask for log name and password. The admin account doesn't let me in. I guess system files were being updated and got screwed up because of the power failure.

So...I figured I boot from the DVD and reinstall without formating. Wrong. It wouldn't let me boot from the DVD. So...I go to target mode and hook it to my PowerBook. I can see the drive in Disk Utility, but it won't mount. It says use first aid. I ran first aid for 30 minutes and got annoyed to I canceled it. It never fixed a single error.

My first thought is that this is a OS X problem. But now I think it could be hardware. I couldn't choose a correct forum, so I picked randomly. Anyone have any suggestions? I really need this machine up today.

2. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Good news. I've got it booting from the DVD and reinstalling. I hope this fixes it.
    Edit: It worked.

3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

4. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

After about the 5th time I attempted to boot from CD, it finally worked. I installed OS X without formating the drive. Booted right up and keep all users and setting. I had to redo a couple software updates though. Other than that, I was pretty pleased.