Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Software Update has long been the primary method for users updating their systems, with the tool accessible through the Apple icon in the menu bar offering automatic weekly checks for new software updates from Apple. But as shown by iClarified, Apple is doing away with the standalone Software Update tool in OS X Mountain Lion and integrating it directly into the Mac App Store.

mountain_lion_software_update_mac_app_store.jpg

Pocket-lint has more on Apple's decision:
Currently Apple's Software Update system in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion force users to use a dedicated update procedure that constantly checks to see if updates are available. Apple now feels, it seems, that this way of doing things might be slightly confusing to users coming from an iPhone or iPad who are used to seeing updates for apps appear in the App Store rather than buried elsewhere.

Explaining to Pocket-lint in a behind-closed-doors briefing for the new developer preview of Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has told us that the new method will offer updates to the OS and Apple applications in a similar way to how it does on iOS via the App Store, but in this case via the Mac App Store.
The report notes that the move appears to require that users sign up for an Apple ID if they have not done so already in order to access the updates, and also encourages them to keep the Mac App Store within easy access in their Docks so that they will notice badges informing them of available updates.

Article Link: Software Update to Move Inside Mac App Store in OS X Mountain Lion

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I have no problem with this, but I really hope they give us the ability to merge Apple IDs soon!

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
i cant understand why still Apple can't make Address book something better, for example:

- displaying a map picture next to each address
- making the relatives fields linked to eachother instead of plain text, so that when I type in someone as a father of another, that person will automatically show up as son of that other person as well. Preferably this would also be linked into a all-new family tree/friends tree-application.
- allow phone numbers to have a separate choice of country, so that country code is automatically added correctly but somehow separately.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How are Macs in enterprise environments going to be updated? I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the softwareupdate command line tool!

I can update an entire department of Macs with one command using SSH and that tool.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This makes a lot of sense as Apple strives to consumerize their devices. An automated appliance like approach, will be very well received by all the retired seniors I see frequenting Apple Stores. Always one to favor simplicity, Apples right on the money with this choice.

For those of us professionals it's time to brace for the obvious.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
How are Macs in enterprise environments going to be updated? I sure as hell hope they don't get rid of the softwareupdate command line tool!

I can update an entire department of Macs with one command using SSH and that tool.

seriously!!!! We have a huge SUS infrastructure. softwareupdate -i -a is something we use quite a bit.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Good move as far as consolidation, but Software Update has a better UI.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

seriously!!!! We have a huge SUS infrastructure. softwareupdate -i -a is something we use quite a bit.

I suspect Apple will still have support for enterprise type installations.

I do suggest that companies buy at least pay for one developer to get early access to new versions of Mac OS. And then when features go missing you can bug report them as missing features and use the other feedback mechanisms that developers have.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I don't mind this at all, but I don't want the App Store in my dock all the time. Hopefully it'll provide push notifications in notification centre.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lancetx said:
I have no problem with this, but I really hope they give us the ability to merge Apple IDs soon!

I agree wholeheartedly (even though mine is the same it's been for 12-13 years (whenever they released iTools))

. Also, let me update my existing iLife and iWork apps through it.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Awesome news. This was one of the reasons i made the jump to the mac. Having a mac app store just opens up so many more possibilities.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Not a good idea if the only way to get automatic software updates requires an Apple ID.

Gatekeeper would be a huge step forward in security; this would be an even bigger step back.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I've kinda been wanting this for a while. Bundle in the Installer app and an app de-sinatller (to get rid of preference files, Application Support and other related files).

i cant understand why still Apple can't make Address book something better, for example:

- displaying a map picture next to each address
- making the relatives fields linked to eachother instead of plain text, so that when I type in someone as a father of another, that person will automatically show up as son of that other person as well. Preferably this would also be linked into a all-new family tree/friends tree-application.
- allow phone numbers to have a separate choice of country, so that country code is automatically added correctly but somehow separately.

I'd like this, too. I'd love it if there was a family tree app that could interface with your contacts so that it has names, birthdays, relationships with other people, marriage dates, etc and also work with iPhoto & iTunes to get pictures, movies & spoken word about said person.

In the school district I work for, we use this program called Filewave. Isn't perfect, but still pretty cool.

Going Digital

Suspended
Feb 22, 2011
Another push

Although it makes sense to have one single software update mechanism I have so far managed to do without App store completely, this is one more way to force everyone to have a App Store account and encourage them to get their apps that way so you can be sure to get updates.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Darn, I think I am getting old. I don't use the app store on my iMac, not even sure where the app icon is (likely apps haha). I like just checking the drop down apple without having to go looking for updates.

There was nothing wrong with it the way it was.

Yeap, I am starting to sound curmudgeony....

btw how do you report posts like the spam ad guy 3 or so replies above?

WW

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
That's fine by me. When satisfying my software update compulsion, I usually start: Software Update, App Store and AppFresh anyways.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
If they are going to do this, they need to DRASTICALLY improve the performance and stability of the app store. Right now it as possible the slowest Apple software on any of my Macs.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas

They're going to have to. This is getting brutal for families and developers.

That and the other way round: Sectionize them. As a good example, there is the XBox Live! Family account where you share content with different sub accounts. This would split calendars, App settings, notes, etc.
And if Apple gets really crative, they even let these subaccounts move - e.g. kids moving out, taking their ID with them and merge it with their new spouse etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.