Software update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joeymac, Jun 16, 2006.

1. joeymac macrumors newbie

I idly clicked on the software update last night - must have come in the past days on my new G5. Now safari won't open at all. I tried to reinstall software from the disk that came with the machine, but it seems to be stuck in a loop or something and won't finish. Has anyone else experienced this. Any ideas how to unscrew this? *

2. imacintel macrumors 68000

Is it reinstall OSX, or just the software? You may want to install OSX all over again.

Is your Hard Drive making any weird noises?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not quite sure what's happened. What software did you update? What software did you try and reinstall? Is Safari the only app that's playing badly? What OS and computer are you running? :)

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, further to mad jew's question, did this problem occur from just running software update itself, the application, or from actually downloading and installing something from software update? And if so, what application/update did you install? Are other apps affected? Please provide some more information so we can better troubleshoot your problem.

5. joeymac thread starter macrumors newbie

software update

I am running Version 10.4.2 on an 2.1 GHz Power PC GS, and the update seems to have caused the problem. I have run fsck and tried to re install my Panther 10.3 disk one, but it doesn't seem to run. Further, when the booting I get a small file icon in the center of the gray screen for a minute or two, before the OS comes up with the usual appearance. Still safari won't load, nor any widgets. I would be grateful for any ideas

6. joeymac thread starter macrumors newbie

reinstall

So I try to reinstall OS X disk 1 and get a circle with a line through it. Is this a hard ware problem? THe only apps that seem to be afflicted are Safari and Widgets...

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did the Panther discs come with the machine? You cannot install an older OS onto a newer system and similarly, you cannot install an older OS over a newer OS without reformatting the drive.

If I understand you correctly, the machine still boots into Tiger and was 100% fine before this update. Maybe try reinstalling the 10.4.6 Combo Update. :)