Software updater not opening

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackieonasses, Nov 1, 2004.

1. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Okay guys, this question will probably be easily answered, probably by trashed prefs or something, but my best friends computer is at her college (1 hour away) and i don't have time for troubleshoot. Also, i typically have been scared to post threads like this, oh well.

Okay she has a ibook brand new from apple as of September, Everything on it is stock, and she needs updates. She could just go to the apple.com/downloads but this is much easier. She is on her Uni's network, and every time she clicks the "software updater" it bounces twice and closes. What would be the best solution?

thanks

kyle

2. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

no one knows what is wrong? has this happened to anyone before?

3. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Most Uni's I know that are Mac friendly (and especially if they are part of the Apple Consortium) often have all the updates on their own server for students to grab to save having to download them from either the Software Update or the net... so she could start by talking to her Uni IT Help desk.

4. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

So it is something to do with her school's network? because even when she was at my house when she first got it, it would just bounce then close. This isn't a major issue, just a minor annoyance.

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I doubt the hiccups in opening the Software Update is due to the network she is logged into... that sounds like a software issue... but I'm not IT or a technical person...

I was just hoping to you give an alternative way of getting any updates she might want. Some Uni's over here have limitations of what students can download, or even user-pay system, but if she grabs them from an internal server then there would be no charges, or associated costs / problems.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

She could delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist, but that's such a trivial small file with only three items in it - none all that important - that I doubt it'll make a difference. But it couldn't hurt. Also, she could create a new account (with admin privs) and try SU from there - that might work. Worth a shot, and easy to do.

7. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

funny cause i never thought of it in that way, i am calling her tonight to do that.thanks!

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

9. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes, she has, She is just going to create a new account and put that behind her.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

kyle