software updates? is it cool to dl 10.3.2 before 10.3.1?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jero, Jan 3, 2004.

1. jero macrumors regular

im at 10.3 right now. will i be missing some things by not dowloading 10.3.1 first?

and likewise for other updates(ical, itunes etc.). 56k is really hurting a brother and dont really want to spend all day dl'ing updates. so is it okay to skip an update or two? forgive my ignorance, i tried searching the boards for an answer but its tough when theres so many threads on panther.

oh yeah, this is my first post from my ibook. f' yeah!

2. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Unless you use the combo update, you must go in order. So, you could dl the "10.3.2 Combo Update", but it is just as big as the two together (more or less). You can't install the regular 10.3.2 update, without 10.3.1, the installer won't let you.

As for other software, the version you download is the full version. No problem there.

I recommend just opening "Software Update" and letting it run.

3. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

If you've got a buddy with broadband, I say download the combo update over the web (via Apple's software update web page) and put it on a zip disk or CD-RW. That will save you hours downloading the updates from your 56K connection.

4. jero thread starter macrumors regular

will do duke. im running software update as i type this. do i have to do anything special when software update finishes downloading whatever it needs to download? i dont have to restart, power off/on, reboot my ibook do i?

thanks for the quick reply.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....after installing system updates it is almost always required to reboot the computer - it will prompt you to do so as well as informing you before you begin the d/l or install that a reboot is required.....oh yeah!

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If your on a modem, you could better be downloading from Apple via your webbrowser. The update program is slower then dl-en it from your webbrowser. The update program also checks for certain things on your Mac. The webbrowser just downloads the program.

7. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

It seems like Software Update has some "resume" capabilities. As in if you lose your connection, you can continue downloading at the same spot. I use 56k too. I usually just let it download things overnight. Then, in the morning I'm ready to go.

Software Update only updates Apple branded software. You'll have to go to versiontracker.com or another site to find 3rd party software for you iBook.

If you want some good freeware suggestions check out this post.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In Software Update, an update will have a little triangle next to it if it requires you to restart after installing.

9. jero thread starter macrumors regular

wow, thanks for the replies.yeah i spent that first day just dl'ing all these software updates on my wack 56k line haha. i still have to download a quicktime update but whenever i finish dl'ing it, it asks me for my registration number or something. and i havent figured out what that is yet lol. peace all.

damn, im such a noooooooob.

thanks again.

10. iEric macrumors 6502a

Just push enter and it will go away. (the quicktime thing u were talking about)