software updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cornchild, Mar 24, 2007.

1. cornchild macrumors newbie

I just bought a new iMac 24''. It is simply amazing, however I have one problem.

In the area I live I can only get dialup and I would really like to get the 10.4.9 update and others.

Is it possible to get these updates on cd?

Should I consider getting satellite? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Thomas

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Satellite is expensive but you do get the speed in a remote location. Don't expect to game on it though, the latency is very high.

The Software Updates are available for standalone download. You could get someone to burn them do a disc for you and you'd be just fine.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you don't live far from an apple store or such, you might be able to get them to make you the disc, or make it yourself there.

4. cornchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Ya, I don't play online games. I have my consoles for games and Online gaming isn't fun to me .lol so thats not a problem.

I have been looking at even the cheapest satellite solutions though, and they all appear a lot faster than dial-up.

I suppose I could find someone with a fast connection to download them for me, but long-term I suppose satellite may be the way I have to go.

Thanks again.

Edit:

What is the difference between the combo update and the regular one?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Combo update will update any version of OS X from 10.4.0 to 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. (That is given the type e.g. PowerPC or Intel update.)