Software Updates

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jazzfan, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jazzfan macrumors newbie

My connection speed is too slow and the software upgrades never finish downloading and/or applying. Is there a way to make sure that my connection does not get dropped? Or, is there a way to get these software updates from a CD?

I just bought an eMac running mac OS X
    Thanks in advance for your help.

jazzfan

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Try going here, then download the update(s) and then try manually installing them.

Too bad you don't have a laptop, I've heard of people going to Apple stores or Apple-resllers to download updates for free.

If you've got a Wi-Fi card or BlueTooth, you could always try it that way.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or just burn a CD at the local store...

4. jazzfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you both musicpyrite and jsw for your prompt responses. That URL is just what I needed, I am now downloading (at work, where the speed is much faster) all the updates I need.
    Thanks again.

5. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The simple solution would be to deactivate whatever is auto-disconnecting you (it would vary by service provider).
    If it's just OS X that's disconnecting you, go into the "Network" preference pane in System Prefernces and turn that off (go to the "PPP" tab, and choose "PPP Option").

If that doesn't help, consider downloading one update at a time.

6. jazzfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks pyrotoaster. I did try downloading one file at a time and, for the most part I did OK. especially with files smaller than 20 or 25 Mb.
    I just donloaded a utility called "jiggler" that essentially simulates "jiggling" the mouse often enough so that your connection is always active. I will give it a try as soon as I get home.

Thanks again to all.
    jazzfan