Software with Dedicated MacOS?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShovelHead84, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ShovelHead84 macrumors member

the MacOS is trying hard to be all things for all software…

it is obviously succeeding since it is the best OS out there…

but that means that it is bloated vis-à-vis what is necessary for the OS to run a particular piece of software…

in the beginning it made sense because it used less memory and that was just about paramount importance then…

now chip technology has removed that hurdle and opens the gate for software that has its own OS…

(of course there would be a ROOT OS that did the kine things that were independent of individual software packages… )

why do i need those aspects of the OS that are necessary to run Photoshop or Excel if i am running Safari?

i'm thinking it could be something like a PARTITION that is created when a software package is installed…

there would be free unemcumbered movement from the individual software OS to and from the ROOT OS…

if the MacOS's functionality were stripped to just that which is necessary to run the machine and Photoshop included aspects of the OS necessary to run Photoshop there would be a performance increase…

i haven't thought this through completely but i may have something!

(this is an aside: i ask this question for selfish and legal reasons: will this post give me any intellectual property kine legal standing if a year from now Photoshop or some other software manufacturer in conjunction with Apple or even MS markets a software product with a dedicated OS?)

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I doubt it. You'll need patents for that kind of thing.

I really don't know about your idea because I don't know enough about OS programming, but sounds like it'll make things very complicated and somewhat ununified.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

As far as I am aware whenever you run a program you only ever load into the memory the bits of the operating system that you are using and any that are in use are shared amongst the programs so there is no real need for what you are describing. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

Also, your method may lead to running parts of the operating system from more than one area of memory, if photoshop and excel both need a component then they are both going to be running their own copy in your case, and not just sharing.