Software you never use...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ejb190, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Do you have a hard drive full of programs you never use?

So I was looking at how much hard drive space I had left on my 12" PB. I have been doing some video and have pretty much tapped both my internal and external hard drives and need to clear off some space.

I noticed I have a lot of applications on my 'puter that I have never used, but I haven't gotten the nerve to delete on the offhand chance that I might need them. It is mostly image software, but there are a few other things like my copy of Macromedia Studio MX that I was going to learn how to use.

So what's on your computer that you could probably be rid of?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

3. Aarow macrumors 6502a

iMovie/iDVD. I don't even know what Sherlock is.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Sherelock and maybe iDVD. Any program that I install myself and don't use for 2 weeks or so I delete so my drive is pretty clean.

Sherlock is a sort of searching program, never really used it except in OS 9 when for some stupid reason Apple decided that it should replace Finders find function.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Same here, iDVD, iMovie and Sherlock. I've never really had a use for any of these and were just taking up precious HD space (particularly iDVD). I'm not saying they're bad (well maybe Sherlock is) I just don't have any use for them.

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

:eek: these are the most used apps on mine minus sherlock

iCal is unused on my HDD

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

umm not to sound like a dumb idiot, Can you delete sherlock from Mac? If so How ?:confused:

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just drag it to the trash. ;)

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Sad really.. I've spent far more time developing Sherlock plugins than using Sherlock. Including test time!

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I'd agree - Sherlock, iDVD, probably even iMovie for the 1 or 2 times I use it a year. GarageBand for sure (iWeb might become a new candidate now that I have iLife '06).

In general, I like to keep my Mac as uncluttered and stream-lined as possible, and don't have a bunch of crap taking up my HDD space.

11. dcv macrumors G3

I was just reading this thread and thinking to myself, WTF is Sherlock? Do I even have it? I've just found it but it looks like I've never even opened this application! So there's one piece of software I certainly don't use. I also don't use GarageBand, iDVD or iMovie and have only looked at iCal a couple of times. Hmmm, is it worth me upgrading to iLife '06 I wonder? :p

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For many people, upgrading to iLife '06 is in actuality upgrading iPhoto. ;) :cool:

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Probably a bunch - I'm always downloading crap off of version tracker or something to try and fix some obscure workflow issue. I try to throw them away somewhat regularly, but often times I forget, leaving me with an overload of crap.

Speaking of which, maybe I'll go clear a few out now. Thanks for the reminder. Besides, they're all backed up...

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I've never once had to use "HowToSpendYour LotteryWinnings.app"

;)

Mail.app
    iDVD, iMovie, etc.
    Safari
    AppleWorks
    Zinio

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Another Sherlock vote - primarily because there really weren't very many UK channels so it never fulfilled its potential. And Dashboard has replaced the ones that were there.

I've got Macromedia since I used to run a site and update it regularly. I no longer do that so it probably hasn't been opened in over a year.

I probably haven't opened that many in the Utility Folder in recent years either.

I'll confess to a bad habit of downloading lots of graphic apps (when they have free trials etc) which I could probably get rid off since I don't use them

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sherlock (guess it's already deleted)
    iMovie
    iDVD (deleted from iBook)
    Garageband (deleted from iBook)
    iCal
    Address Book
    World Book
    Automator
    Stickies (just use widget)
    Marble Gold Blast (think I'll go trash that now)

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

I just cleared 430MB off my disk, and given that it's a lousy 60GB drive, that's a lot. Probably could have done more, but everything in moderation. Perhaps next week I'll take another shot at it.

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Users with Tiger may want to create a smart folder that lists all applications that have not been used since... say 3 months ago or something like that... just to get an idea of how many apps they may be able to delete and how much space could be saved. Just an thought...

19. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

20. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

iMovie
    iDvd
    sherlock

Man, i thought the iApps where the main reason many people buy Macs.

21. iGav macrumors G3

I'm lean, I only run what I need, though the first thing I always have to do when I buy a new Mac is reinstall OS X to get rid of all the sh*t it comes pre-installed with... :rolleyes: iMovie, iDVD, and the rest of that crap.

22. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I used to use Sherlock quite frequently but with dashboard nowdays I haven't opened it in about a year. Never used iMovie, Garageband and iDVD. I guess it's time to through some of that stuff in the garbage.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think that Dashboard essentially replaced all the functionality of Sherlock. I think Sherlock was a neat program, but it would (or will... :rolleyes: ) be better suited for say, an Apple PDA...

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The usual suspects for me – Sherlock (which as Applespider mentions was never really that useful if you lived outside of the US), along with iMovie, iDVD and garageband. I always intend to have a good play with the last three apps (especially Garageband, which seems like a fun enough little app) but never seem to get around to it.

25. mrwildguitar macrumors regular

mrwildguitar

I never use Automater, or iCal mostly. iMovie/iDVD I rarely use either.