Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Yet another example of Apple squashing innovation by protecting themselves. Apple will never make a solar powered laptop and do something as cumbersome as putting screens on both sides of a surface. But they are ensuring nobody else will either.

I know Apple is innovative and comes out with neat stuff, but this whole patent war has to end soon as the whole point of patents are to share innovation, not suppress it. Apple rarely, if ever, cross licenses their patents and IP which is a shame because Apple sits on a large stockpile of potentially great ideas that will never see the light of day (excuse the pun).

Do you work for Samsung? The point of patents is to protect intellectual property, not share it. And they are Apple's ideas, to do with as they see fit.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I believe solar power will be about 5-10% of extra reserve power when system main battery is depleted. I'm wondering, if Apple going to include small battery for this solar power storage or will it be used for say powering the keyboard and trackpad? If so I think with solar power we might see battery times go up approx. 1hr to 45 mins increases.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Oh god if Apple goes the tablet/laptop-in-one route, I will lose all my faith for the company. Tablet/laptops are probably the most "useless" invention in the field of computing since netbooks!

If Apple really was working on this they would have requested the Patent Office not publish it until they announced it, if they even filed it that early. Making that it was published/filed a huge sign they aren't planning on any such thing. Just another of the dozens of prototypes made, rejected, but filed to let others license

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Oh god if Apple goes the tablet/laptop-in-one route, I will lose all my faith for the company. Tablet/laptops are probably the most "useless" invention in the field of computing since netbooks!

Really? I still have two Netbooks which have proven to be very useful over the 5 or so years I've had them.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
I really like this stuff called wire. When you use it, you can leave your computers inside and put your solar panels outside in the sun. You can use this wire stuff to connect them even though they're ten meters apart! Although "wire" is a pretty silly sounding name, I have a feeling that it could really catch on.

ocean wave energy or bust

Good idea, but might set off the liquid contact indicators.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
lol

A product that will never see the light of day.

Two screens? Too complex for the average user.too much battery drain. Solar power won't keep this thing going.

you must be one of the people that said yeah right to a touch screen on an iPhone

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Solar panels on a Mac laptop is nothing new. Who remembers the 1400 with the changeable lids?
PBK1400Solar.jpg

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..The display may be controlled using timing and control circuitry on a display driver board. The driver board may be mounted within a clutch barrel that contains the hinges. The driver board may be mounted within the clutch barrel so that it lies perpendicular to the plane of the display or may be oriented at other orientations such as orientations that are within plus or minus 10.degree. or 20.degree. from perpendicular, orientations that are parallel to the plane of the display, or other orientations…..

Article Link: Solar-Powered Laptop with Dual-Sided Display Detailed in Apple Patent

Color me baffled…..can anyone give me the 'dummies' version?

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
This is something we have been wishing for

This is a step in the right direction. Remember when some people thought solar powered calculators would be impossible? Right now this would probably be used to minimally recharge the battery, but one day solar power will be able to fully power tablets, laptops and cell phones.

Logitech should be proud of themselves for introducing the wireless solar keyboard.
http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/product/k750-keyboard?wt.mc_id=global_pr-k750_redirect_112010

logitech-solar-powered-wireless-keyboard_4_ZdBGc_69.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.