Solar Tsunami !

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacSA, Dec 8, 2006.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Dec. 7, 2006: The prototype of a new solar patrol telescope in New Mexico recorded a tsunami-like shock wave rolling across the visible face of the Sun following a major flare even on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2006, at 18:28 Universal Time (11:28 MST). The shock wave, known as a Moreton wave, also destroyed or compressed two filaments of cool gas at opposite sides of the solar hemisphere.

[​IMG]

Full Story: http://www.nso.edu/staff/dooling/tsunami/

2. mufflon macrumors 6502

that's really cool, but does anyone know if this is a reoccuring phenomena that we just haven't registered as much before or if it's just old news?

3. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Ridiculously cool as always, MacSA.

What triggers an event like this? I can't imagine it happens with all "major flares," right? And what size is this cross-section of the sun? How many earths in it?

Thanks for the image and the link.

5. ecche macrumors regular

Ouch! That must have been one violent eruption! According to the timestamps on the video it only took 10 minutes or so to spread over this huge area. One can just imagine Mr Sun going "Oh dear , I think I left the gas cooker on....."BLAM

6. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

That image cross section shows about half the Suns disk, which puts it at about 696,000km across (the Sun 1,392,000km in diameter), so it's about 55 Earths across.