Sold my 17 inch Macbook pro, what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleIntelRock, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I sold my macbook pro, that leaves me with about $1500 to spend on a computer (after taking out the money I need)

Should I get:

A) A Black Core 2 Duo Macbook with a 120 GB HDD and 1 GB Ram

or

B) 15 inch, 2.0 Ghz Macbook Pro- Core Duo- with 512 MB ram and an 80 GB HDD.

2. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

You are getting a larger HD and better performance from the extra RAM. Unless you really need the graphics card, then the no-brainer answer would be to get the MacBook.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

it depends on your needs, do you need 64 bit? than go gor the macbook, do you need graphics? got for the macbook pro. The macbook pro is larger, so that can be a plus or minus. Id personally go for the macbook pro, but the choice is yours.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

by just those configurations, i'd go with the MacBook. while i like the form factor of a MBP better (i like the enclosure, size, and illuminated keyboard), i wouldn't want to buy last month's technology (Core Duo vs. C2D) with less RAM and a smaller hard drive. this one, to me, seems like a no brainer.

5. AppleIntelRock thread starter macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I do:

Photoshop, video editing (a little final cut), and then the normal stuff. I'm a heavy iLife user :D

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

and, i just noticed the amcbook has more ram, id still get the mbp and slowly add ram as i got money. good luck!

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

for this the macbook would probably be fine, it is newer, and nothing you do qould require its own graphics card. So, if the size doesnt matter to you it sounds like the macbook is the way to go.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would buy a C2D 20" iMac or hang in there till you see a C2D MacBook Pro 15"
    show up on the refurb listings.

While I like the MacBooks quite a bit, I'm not so sure you'll be happy trading down
    from that 17" MBP to a 13" WS unless that smaller form factor is what you're going for.

The base 15" MacBook Pro is the happy medium, but you'll have to wait till you've saved up the difference.