Sold my old iPhone ... quick question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zildMacjian, Jan 3, 2013.

1. macrumors member

done a full restore so when you turn it on its asks to be activated, this should be ok right ? so its setup right for its new owner ?

im 99.99% sure all my data is wiped from it, as its a restore and no sync was involved.

2. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Did you sign it out of all Apple ID-related items (iMessage, Find My iPhone, Face Time, etc)?

3. macrumors member

As long as you did Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings, you should be OK.

4. macrumors member

I did the same thing with my wife's iphone4 when she got her new iphone5. I am using it for myself on tmobile. However, I quickly discovered an issue with one particular app, textnow+ where even after doing the reset and setting up the phone for my appleid, using textnow causes a conflict between our two iPhones. The bad part is that we can read each others text messages because textnow must have a log on its servers with the udid of both phones. Whenever I try to log into textnow with my account, it logs her out on her phone and logs in as me, and vice versa. I've contacted Enflick weeks ago with no response. I've also posted to these forums with no response.

It seems like a major security flaw to me. I'm not sure it's only limited to textnow, but it's all I've experienced.

So, maybe selling an iphone isn't totally without risk, in my experience.

5. macrumors G3

OP still needs to sign out of all Apple accounts before doing above or he might run into trouble.

6. thread starter macrumors member

unregistered product
    deleted apple id
    turned of imessenger
    erased everything (wasnt anything on it really)

should do it.

7. macrumors 68020

Sounds more like an app issue than an iPhone issue. It's not always apple's fault you know.

OP I've sold lots of phones and never had an issue, you should be fine.

8. macrumors 68020

macingman

I'm pretty sure they (Apple) fixed the bug that was causing the trouble with iMessages going to stolen/unregistered devices etc.

9. macrumors G3

It's not just iMessage. We're still hearing reports of other Apple accounts (FaceTime, iCloud, etc.) still linked after erasing all content and settings so I'd still do it to be safe.

10. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

11. macrumors 65816

adam044

I always just click restore and call it a day, Ive sold 3 apple devices and never have had any problems

12. macrumors member

Son of a bitch... I did not know this.

13. macrumors member

I agree, it is an app issue. However, Apple approves all apps so they have some say. I thought I read somewhere that Apple was trying to get developers to stop using udid.

The issue is, be careful when selling. Issues like this are few and far between, which makes it even harder to catch. I just wanted to warn people about this particular app. I believe, though, that you can email Enflick and have them delete your account, including all,udid info associated with it. That would solve the problem with selling it. Then you would need to sign up for a new account.

14. macrumors member

Enflick sent me the following response for my textnow issue.

We are looking into a better way to handle iTunes restore situations like the one you've described in the future. For the time being, to resolve the situation on your devices, please do the following (on both devices):
    - Sign-out of TextNow.
    - Delete the app.
    - Install TextNow from the App Store (not via iTunes back-up).
    - Sign-in to your individual accounts.

Thank you.

It worked! Just passing this along.