Sold my PowerBook 12" :-(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Music_Producer, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sounds weird.. but.. I actually felt like I lost a part of family, when I sold my pb 12" today. It was sold for $825, which is a good price, considering that I upgraded to the macbook.. so the diff worked out to less than $400. I took tons of pictures, even took pictures of it in the shipping box! :eek:

Anyone else feel depressed after selling their beloved books? Or am I just crazy? And no, I'm not the sentimental types.. lol..its just like.. wow.. I can't believe I actually cried when I packed her up. And every minute I would just think "Damn, its just a computer.. stop being a sissy!"

Hope she's taken good care of :(

On the other hand getting rid of that old windows PC was.. :D

2. lilfordbmx macrumors newbie

it's deff hard letting go of your old machines.. even though you're getting something better in return..

3. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

the PB 12" was a very nice looking machine. I sold my PB 17" and have been missing it since but I'm kinda in between waiting for Merom.. it's super hard cuz I haven't been able to use Logic Pro =(.

It's kinda sad actually, whenever I want to record a piano piece I set my MPC to like 10,000 bars and record my playing... but it bowls me over.

RIP super-tiny silver laptop

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I have a rev.A 12" that I have considered selling lately. How does the MacBook compare with the powerbook? Just wondering.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Yeah. I just sold my 12" iBook G4 (800mhz) for $525 which isnt bad. It was somewhat depressing but after seeing that my MBP runs rosetta apps FASTER than the iBook I got over it.

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I sold my 12" Powerbook last week to purchase a 2Ghz white MB with 2GB of ram. I got about the same amount for it as you.

I was kind of sad to let it go, but I'm amazed with the MB. It's a heck of a lot faster, nicer screen, it's sleeker than the iBook and I don't have to be scared I'll dent it either. I half expected it to be just an iBook with an Intel chip inside, but it's so much more than that. The mouse button doesn't make that awful "clunk" sound, the keyboard is like the Powerbook's only plastic, it's thinner, love the no latch on the lid.

7. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

The MacBook is fantastic.. it absolutely blows away the powerbook. My decision to sell the powerbook was almost instant, as soon as i turned on the macbook, it just takes your breath away. Even microsoft office, photoshop, etc.. under rosetta.. run faster on my macbook than on my pb g4. I do have 2gb of ram in it, but even with the stock 512 mb, you can really notice the difference in speed.

Its absolutely quiet, right now I have everything turned off in the room.. the air conditioning, fans, etc etc.. and the only sound is, me typing on the keyboard. Go for the macbook, you won't regret it.

For the person who posted regarding Logic, you'll experience obvious improvements with these intel macs as far as audio apps are concerned.. but you might want to make sure that all your apps are either universal, or rosetta based. I am running digital performer 5 (which is not universal yet) and it doesn't work with reason 3.0.5 (which is universal) The same applies with virtual instruments like Atmosphere, etc.

Audio apps under Rosetta run terribly, compared to the powerbook (obviously) We musicians can never have enough computing power! I need an 8 core laptop with 8gb of ram :p

Ok, having praised my macbook so much, I feel like I've 'cheated' on my powerbook.. lol. Time for my medication :rolleyes:

8. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

I remember the good old days, when I would record with a Roland VS-880 hard disk recorder. I would crank out a good song almost everyday, now with so many plugins, software, etc.. I feel lazy to do anything! I'm just looking at all the goodies on screen and going "Nice, ooh that plug-in looks so fancy".. instead of actually making music! :p

PS - you should buy a mac mini now, since you can upgrade the chip to merom in the future. And, by the time merom laptops come out, you can sell the mini and get a good price of it .. I would think almost more than 90% of the price. I am not so sure if merom laptops will come out this august at all.

9. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Me too

Weird, but I TOO just sold my 12" PowerBook on eBay a couple days ago for a little over $800. My new MacBook in black will arrive tomorrow morning and I can't wait to see it. It will get a 2GB infusion shortly (ordered the chips from OWC, we'll see how those work out as I usually get my memory from Crucial). I hope to also replace the hard drive with a 160GB model once Seagate starts shipping the serial ATA version.

The Al PowerBooks were awesome in general and the 12" was my favorite. You could actually use it sitting in the middle seat on a 737 and it always drew favorable comments from Mac and PC users alike ("Oooh, your computer is SO CUTE!" :D )

I am going to miss my little friend, but am looking forward to a bigger screen and (finally) 2GB of memory. It's almost like Apple read my mind when they built the MacBook. The only thing that would make it cooler is a backlit keyboard like the Pro series.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So sad, i love those 12'' Apple laptops:)

I try not to sell machines when i upgrade, and since noone here want my old iMac G5, i end up just moiving it down stairs

11. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

My computer history consisted of the following: Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Apple IIc, various pc boxes and some others I can't remember now :) . I remember my Dad's Atari 800 with dual casette tapes and Apple IIgs.

Of the computers I owned, the IIc was by far my favorite. I had it for 10 years before selling it (I didn't want to), and it still worked great.

I know how you feel. There is just something about owning an Apple that differentiates it from everything else.

12. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

oldies but goodies

After a lifetime of using virtually every kind of computing device, including an IBM 129 keypunch, Data General S130 (I remember being excited about the upgrade to 64K!), Cray J90, MicroVAXes (my first personally-owned PC was a DEC Rainbow), and all manner of Macs, the only computer I ever truly regretted selling was my old Cube.

I bought it used on eBay and spent some time and money lovingly restoring it, buffing out the scratches in the case, replacing the rattling hard drive with a modern unit, tracking down a video card to run my Cinema display. What a sweet little machine, wish I hung onto it now...

Then again, Apple was the reason I got into computers. One day in high school, a salesman brought in a couple of newfangled computers: an HP-85 and an Apple II. It was love at first sight (with the Apple of course; the HP resembled a breathalyzer or cash register :).

13. andrewag macrumors 6502

Best thing ever when I got rid of my 12" was it ending up under my car ;) (Although mine was the rev a).

I can't imagine ever selling my PowerMac G5 though!!

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apple is releasing those next Tuesday..:D :cool:

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

Well, you are in luck. Check the current 17 inch iMac. It has a mobility SATA 160Gb

16. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Is that really a notebook 2.5" SATA drive? It's a 7200 rpm unit so that would be sweet if it actually worked in the MacBook. Something tells me though that it is not a notebook drive, but I don't know for sure.

17. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

At least now you move on to BIGGER and BETTER things... :p

18. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

If you're not exaggerating, you may have severe emotional problems. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah i know how you feel. i always feel a twinge when i pack up a computer that I've just sold, no matter how nice the new one is. I'm experiencing it right now with my ibook G4... I have to keep telling myself that it's absurd to have both an ibook and a macbook and that I'd never use the ibook. But I still feel a little sad to let the little guy go.

20. dcv macrumors G3

Awwww.

Well I still have my BabyBook™ and it'll be 1 year old this weekend.

- aarrrgh, end of warranty -

21. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

The only 160gb SATA 2.5" drives out there now are Fujitsu. I only trust seagate drives. the 5 year warranty makes me feel safe ;)

22. macbookprolover macrumors newbie

macbookprolover

I totally agree. Losing a Mac IS like losing a fam. member. I had a 12" iBook, sold it for 632.00 and at first I didn't wanna let it go, having it for a while gets you attached, but then realized that the buyer fixes up Macs, so hopefully it's better now. Anyways, my son, Zachary, would agree with you on the "getting rid of the PC". He took apart the monitor and made it a trash can, then burned all the insides, along with the Tower. If I see him doing that to my new MPB 17 (on its way and will arrive the 20th), he will be one sorry teen. Good luck and congrats with the MacBook!:D

23. Harryc macrumors member

I sold my 12" Powerbook on EBay too, and bought a 2.0Ghz 15" MacBook Pro. The 12" was a very nice machine, but the MBP still leaves me slack-jawed from time to time ;).

24. stevey500 macrumors 6502

i think i will rather take the time be patient to save up and buy a macbook pro... rather than selling my 12" powerbook to help pay for it. I love my powerbook way to much. it's been the best computer i have ever owned. my friends all love it too, even the ones that hate macs. i love my 12" powerbook. every time i pick it up i have to stop and look at it's incredible design for just a few seconds.

25. McBain macrumors member

I've got a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook and it's easily the best computer I've ever owned. The machine is starting to show its age, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I love the screen form-factor (widescreen is good and all, but I don't need it if I'm running all my applications in full-screen), I love the look, and I adore the keyboard.

The MacBook may be a better computer in most areas (I bought my fiancee a white MacBook with a GB of RAM), but my attachment to this machine means I'll probably be using it until it's impossible for me to get work done... or until Apple releases an ultraportable. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.