Soldering help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nighteater537, May 13, 2006.

1. Nighteater537 macrumors member

Ok, i have an external hard drive enclousre, which is a nice enclousre and all but a bit of a tight fit, so anyways a chip got snagged on the case and became loose, (still works fine), about a months later got hooked a second time, but this time it poped of I FREAKED, but when i placed the chip where it was before iit worked fine....so can anyone till me iff i could soder it back on? or another way to fix it.

2. idkfa macrumors regular

What kind of chip are you talking about?

Just a piece of metal from the drive? Or an exposed microchip (which does not make any sense)?

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Nobody can talk you through micro soldering. It's either something you can or cannot do (I fall into the "cannot" catagory).

If the drive is expendable, I say give it a shot. No real risk if you're just going to trash it anyway.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

If it is micro soldering, it is not impossible but incredibly hard!!!
    I would use some sticky tape to attach it down if you still need it.

5. idkfa macrumors regular

Oh! Now I understand.

I would advise against doing it yourself. You will require the appropriate soldering iron and a special type of electronic solder. It is very difficult to attach each connector without fusing two together or ruining it.

Good Luck!

6. jer446 macrumors 6502a

it isnt thatt hard(i dont know the spacing on the leads), but you need a decent iron with a tip that is like a pencil tip, none of the cheapo radio shack irons will be good enough.. Make sure you have a steady hand and get some practice before you do anything..

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

For the amount you have to spend on the right equipment you are better off buying a new enclosure. That is just my thought. However it is doable with the right equipment and a little bit of practice and patience.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you're going to trash the drive anyway, I'd say give it a shot. It's difficult to solder surface mount stuff (like that found in nearly all electronics now), but with practice anyone can learn how to solder. If you know somebody who is an electrical engineer or is otherwise good with electronics construction/repair, see if they'll help you or at least let you use their soldering iron. You should NOT try to use a soldering gun. So many people think a soldering gun is the tool to use for soldering electronics. For small connections, especially those involving semiconductor devices, you must use a soldering iron.

9. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

here is some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hope that clarifies things,

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:D LOL

Sorry, that comment after 4 out of focus pictures made me laugh out loud. ;)

12. Nighteater537 thread starter macrumors member

it was done on a cellphone,.....anyways, i dont want to ducktape it, i thought if glue, just on the plastic underside, but i dont know if the adhesive in it would sccreew up the board

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That doesn't look that hard to solder. Its not a microchip with tens of connections to solder in a tiny space, its just one rather large component with two connection points miles away from anything else. If you've got a soldering iron and have soldered things before then go for it.

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

That's not a chip. The pictures are too blurry to be sure, but it looks to me like a quartz crystal. It's a really easy soldering job actually. Just stick it down in place (you may want to use a little tape) and then solder the terminals on both sides. Don't use too much solder, and be sure that you don't short circuit the metal case to either of the pins. Also, only keep the soldering iron on the connection long enough to get a good connection. Too much heat can damage parts.