Soldier of Fortune 2 question....

Discussion in 'Games' started by dave1234, Oct 16, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

Ok so i have a 12 inch G4 powerbook, and I like to play soldier of fortune. But I want to be able to play it with good graphic settings, and high game speed, is there any settings i can do in/out of the game ?

2. couch potato macrumors regular

hmm, i dont have the game, but i think most games are the same in this area. first off, check if there is an audio quality or sound quality setting somewhere in the preferences. if there is, turn it to medium or low (you can decide).

in terms of graphics, your G4 powerbook might have a bit of trouble. i have the same model as you do, and its not the best laptop out there for gaming (mac wise), but it will do.

well..which are you more worried about? graphics or performance?

3. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Which am i worried about....

the graphics that im doing now, are fine with me. i just want to speed the game up, or have it perform better.

4. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

My dual 2 Ghz G5 with 9800 ati readion cant run soldier of fortune 2 single player. Choppy and ****ting

same thing with a my 900 mhz g4

shocked? I am.....

5. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Hi
    i also have a dual G5, but with the 9600 radion. Choppy framerate here too with all settings on high @ 1024x768.

I was expecting better...!:confused:

Maybe the game needs a patch to work better on a G5 cpu?? :rolleyes: Though i'd expect to get better fps with your card - the 9800 is supposed to be the best..

Awaiting an update!

6. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

SoFII runs crappy in single player on pc too.. dont feel too bad...

I just picked it up for the multiplayer and im hoping it works okay on the iBook. (Wolfenstein does, so maybe ill get lucky :)) If not ill only be out $20!

Thank god for open box purchases...

Update: SoFII MP works wonderfully on my G3 iBook 800

7. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

I don't feel bad, afterall, they're pc owners so how can i - thank god i wasn't that dumb!! :D
    Seriously though, i've got games that are better, graphically. Just look at MoHAA/Spearhead and their framerates are twice that of SoF2. Very odd, but a major shame as SoF2 is awesome to play.
    Oh well :rolleyes:

8. fazz33 macrumors newbie

somthing must be wrong with your mac or the SOF 2 for mac must need a patch my PC runs like a champ everything set on high on 1280/1024 and i get like 60+fps on single player :) and i gotz a 9600pro, may be i should get sof 2 4 mac and see how it is on my IMAC

9. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

wots a pc user doing here!!! ;)

i suspect it is in need of a patch of some kind, maybe cos of the new cpu?

I reckon that if this was a dual G4, rather than G5, running at 2ghz then it would perform much better.. but no such system exists :)

I know i'm not getting 60fps, but i reckon it's around 20-40. Really naff when u think about it :mad: Shame cos this is a top single-player game and (s*ds law) it performs perfect in multiplayer, aparently..

oh well... :rolleyes: Back to AvsP2 :D now this is superb!!!

10. fazz33 macrumors newbie

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

For all of you with FPS issues, I updated to a new version of SOF2, and got around 10 fps, then I went to the network settings, put it to the max, LAN, and I get 80 fps, give that a try.

12. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

please explain more! I don't have a max setting for the network cp. Or do u mean energy saver? :confused:

Thanks

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Within the SOF2 preferences, there is a section on network setting where you can put in the proxy, or connection speed.

14. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

doh! sorry i thought u meant the settings within osx itself.. i'll shoot myself now :rolleyes:

btw, message to all within this thread - i've just been messing with the settings and i've found that the biggest drain on the gfx card is the Lightflares setting. With this off and everything else back on to their highest/best settings i've doubled my framerate! :D

It's still not as good as RTCW, MoH, AvP2, etc.. but it's much better and now fully playable without creating eye strain. (i'm at 1024x768 fwiw - all graphical detail set to max. No light flares!!). I'd say i get around 50/60fps now! HTH someone..

I'm off to test your theory now and hopfully get some more framerate in there! Thanks :D

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe I misread the thread, but I'm talking about multiplayer, and I presumed you guys were too.

16. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I started this thead

Its about how single player is not playable on a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 ghz 512 ram and ati 9800 pro~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

17. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Re: I started this thead

Hi

did u read my earlier posting? I've doubled my framerate, but it still isn't upto any other fps out there.. but hey, it's better than nothing, right?! :rolleyes:

i've got the same mac, but with 9600 ati. So yours should be much better..

It's not our Mac's, just look at every other game out there :D It's just naff programming... imho :(

18. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

diablo

Diablo sucks to. Dont get me started on the carbon programming thing.

19. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Re: diablo

Diablo 2 ?

i've only just got this and installed the latest osx patch - runs perfectly. Very smooth and no crashes. I love it :D

Seriously, performance for this is superb..

I'm using panther now, and i'll be the first to admit that Jaguar didn't really do anything for my G5. RTCW, Dungeon Siege and Myth 3 all kept on crashing! But Panther is cool and gaming performance is excellent (or average as in SoF2!!). I'm very very happy

Maybe a fresh install... ? Hope u get sorted :confused: