Solid Wirless b/g Router Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by noahsnyc, Aug 26, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello -

Looking for a solid, reliable and cost-effective wireless router. While I'm rocking the Airport Extreme (802.11.g), my girlfriend's PB is only about the O.G. Airport (802.11.b).

All that being said, we should get an "G"-capable router, and while all 802.11.g routers are "backwards compatibile", I've heard that some handle the older 802.11.b a little better than others.

In other words, we're looking for something that'll handle her original Airport ("b") as well as my Extreme card.

After that, the only real question is price.

Thanks for the tips,

2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I feel like I've said this about 50 times in the past month, but I really love the Linksys WRT54G router. I use it at home with an iMac with Airport Extreme card and my Powerbook with an original Airport card. It works flawlessly, costs about $70 (probably could find it for less).

It's been easy to setup and configure (web-based), works with my VPN, and has shown pretty good range.
  3. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Emw - Sweet, thanks, just what I was looking for.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    LinkSys WRT54G

I have to second that. The Linksys WRT54G is the way to go.

It works well with Apple Products. Its Appletalk aware. Its got a nice price. It works well and is designed well. And many people have successfully used it with Macs of all types, including myself.

Currentl, Best Buy has then at 10 off plus another 10 rebate. So that puts em around $59.00

It also has a nice web interface that is easy to configure for games, security or filtering.
  5. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
  6. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    vs Airport Extreme

What are the pros and cons vs Apple's router?

(I'll grant price, but any performance/convenience issues?)

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I'd say go for the Linksys, too. The signal strength is so much better than Airport Extreme, it just plain works, and it handles both g/b really well. I have G and my roommates both have B on their Windows computers so I've been dealing with a mixed network as well but the Linksys never let us down. If that weren't enough, it's a lot cheaper than Airport Extreme, too.
  8. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    I too have been very satisfied with the WRT54G (and with one of the Linksys 802.11b models prior to that). Signal strength is strong and it's easy to configure. Also it's useful to have the four ethernet ports available for those times when you want to connect with wires.
  9. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Another vote here for the WRT54G. Its about $60 now from pretty much everywhere. Thats a whole lot cheaper than the Airport base stations.
  10. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    The Linksys is also a 4-port wired router as well as the wireless B/G router, so it has the ability to provide wired services as well.
  11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    another satisfied WRT54G customer here. even works with the Airport Express, after a little tinkering.