Solution for merging iTunes / iCloud accounts w/ different emails?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bwphoto, Jun 13, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Maybe I've solved this, or maybe it's a dumb idea - let me know. One of the things that seems to be a problem for a lot of people on the forums is being stuck with their long-established iTunes store email account and a newer @me/whatever email account.

Why couldn't you just use your new email account to set up new iTunes store and iTunes Match accounts, and then add the songs back up under the new account?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One reason is because people would lose their apps

3. thread starter macrumors member

That is a remarkably good reason. Rats.

Well I guess we're halfway there anyway.

4. macrumors 68020

Actually you can share your apps and other purchases to any other account (up to 5 I believe) using Home Sharing.

The only downside was that app updates required you to enter the password of the original account. However, reports from iOS6 Beta are that you no longer need to do that for updates so this might be a seamless way of handling it.

5. macrumors member

Apps won't work over Home Sharing. It's only media that will.

6. macrumors 68020

That is not true at all. If you have Home Sharing set up, you can drag and drop iOS apps from one person's account to another. It is no different than it is with music, tv shows, movies, books, etc. Two people with completely different Apple ID's set for iTunes can share purchases.

It is probably one of the most little known things about iOS.

7. macrumors member

So, to clarify, I can purchase a $20 app then share it with anyone else in my household with different accounts?

8. macrumors 6502

Yes, my wife and I have been doing this with our apps for years.

9. macrumors member

Good to know, thanks. Now, off to pick a bone with Apple after telling me I couldn't share the $30 Golfshot app I bought with my father and purchased it twice...:mad: