"Solved" threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mad jew, Feb 13, 2006.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

One of the better features of the Apple Support Forums is the ability to show whether a troubleshooting thread has been solved. The thread starter can check a box that means the thread shows up as "solved" when searched for.

I know nothing about vBulletin (among many other things :p ) but was wondering if there was a way to implement this here, or maybe even a similar feature. :)

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

No, I dont think you can get any plug-ins for vBulletin like that. It would be a cool feature though, anyone got any coding skills?

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I guess one way would be for the original poster to PM the mods to let them know the problem had been resolved, and they could then close the thread, but I don't know how much extra work this would be. It would also rely on the OP sending the message.

I think that it is a good idea if it can be implemented.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is such a thing but it's sort of ancient and I'll bet it wouldn't apply anything resembling cleanly these days.

5. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it's certainly a start. It's a shame it won't work with current vBulletin versions though. Any chance of going back to vBulletin 2.0 then arn? :p

Kidding, I wouldn't give up my in-line editing for the world!

6. mpw Guest

Could an OP ask a mod/God to append the thread title?

ie;
    From "What colour underwear should I wear to the prom?"
    Tooo "What colour underwear should I wear to the prom? - SOLVED"

7. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon getting moderators to append titles may be a little too much work though. :eek:

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I reckon it would be too much work for the mods. This 'solved' system would be a great system, but unless it is implemented in vBulletin I don't see it working. Hopefully vBulletin will have an update with this feature :)

Maybe a Guide that is titled solved, where simple questions that get asked alot could and are solved could be added.

9. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Someone with coding skills should be able to modify the code so that the original poster can edit the thread title by editing the original post.

That would be a good general-purpose solution of value to the vBulletin maintainers (and therefore likely to make it into the official codebase) and would additionally allow the original poster to fix spelling errors, clarify the thread title and mark a thread as solved.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I like this idea the best, but I'm not so sure about closing the thread because others could have the same problems under different set-ups. For example the problem of hiding user accounts was solved under Panther, but does not work under Tiger... I think it would be better to post under this thread then to start a new one.

11. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

It wouldn't be difficult to allow the OP to see a "solved" button in the edit window that would automatically append "- SOLVED" to the thread title. (Generally, letting users directly modify thread titles is a bad idea.)

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

This is indeed extremely possible.

I will take a loot around and test an idea or two out on my testing vB to see how easy it is to implement.

and i believe it would be a great addition to the forum

*goes off to vbulletin.org*

However there is an easier way to implement this

To allow posters to close their own thread, or to allow them to at least edit their own thread title for an indefinite amount of time

13. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think threads should necessarily close once they're solved for the reasons Raid put forward. However, it'd certainly be nice to have something visibly showing a thread as solved when searching. :cool:

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep the best way to do this would be to let the OP to change the thread title for an indefinite amount of time.

15. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice work eva01. So, the thread starter can then select to make the thread appear with "solved" or something similar at the start. :cool:

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

They can start the thread with a prefix such as problem, or whatever, or nothing at all.

Then when it is finished they can edit their first post and can change the prefix

however there is file changes and the such, so it is a bit overkill for this

hell i may have to implement this on my site for certain news to tell what type of news it is.

17. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Agreed. That would be a great feature to have on MR. I like how it is implemented too.