solved

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 10fp, Sep 27, 2006.

1. 10fp macrumors newbie

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The retail version of Tiger is always a few updates old. Obviously, the version in the box precedes the MBP which is why it won't load. The OS knows nothing of that model.

Do you have an Apple Store or CompUSA nearby? They should have the installer disks you need.

3. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I know it sucks, but the retail Tiger DVD is too old to boot your Mac. As far as I know, your only options are to wait for the discs or borrow someone else's. If you have a local Apple retail store, maybe the genius bar would do it for you.

Oops - beaten to it by rdowns

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The retail copy is for PPC machines only - why would they sell Tiger for Intel when all Intel machines have Tiger?

Call Applecare, most likely they'll send you a new restore disk for only the cost of shipping.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well you shouldn't have thrown those disks out.

6. mdickson macrumors regular

i'm sure he appreciates the input, captain obvious

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is that tiger retail DVD built for the intel macs or did you pick up a PPC tiger because even though the retail DVD might be 10.4.4 it should still run if it was meant for that...PPC or intel.

Take the disk back and tell the store its not running on your intel mac because its for PPC macs.

Bless

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well he's the one complaining about wanting to throw his laptop against the wall because he can't do work as it's all on his computer harddrive. He described his computer as being nothing but trouble so far.

The fact that his computer wasn't working correctly before isn't his fault, but it IS his fault that he threw away the disks. Just saying that some of the blame should be placed on himself rather than the computer.

9. 10fp thread starter macrumors newbie

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Maybe you should wait out the three weeks or hit your local apple store if there is any near by. Do you have another laptop/desktop PC or Mac?

Bless

11. ju5tin81 macrumors regular

It specifically says iMac disks. The discs that come with each model, as far as I know, only work with that particular model. Something to do with build numbers etc. If these restore disks were from a MacBook, you would've been fine....

Just gonna have to wait/go to the genius bar I'm afraid...

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep, I tried using my Tiger discs for my MBP on my iMac. No dice!

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Erm, do you realise that if you called Applecare and provided them with your machine serial number, you can order replacement disks for your machine?

It is not free, but way cheaper than getting spanking new retail box...

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All retail, boxed copies of OSX (client, not server) are PPC only. Intel Macs come with Tiger and as such no owner of an Intel Mac needs to buy a retail copy of Tiger because they can just use their restore.....discs....oh....:eek:

Yeah, that sucks mate. Bit of a bugger throwing out those discs, hope you've got something to do for the next few weeks because that's the only way you're going to be able to get your MBP working.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Dont throw it into a wall. Open the window first, then throw it my way... I dont mind having two of em. :D

Over time you will learn not to throw ANYTHING away when it comes to your mac. The boxes come in handy for transporting, the extra cables always find a use at some point and those stickers have a million uses (although no one knows what they are). :D

16. 10fp thread starter macrumors newbie

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Buddy, the quickest way to get this doen is take it into an Apple Store, take your order number for the replacement discs with you to show them that they are indeed on order, and ask them to reinstall for you. I'm sure the Genius Bar will do this with very little hastle as it's a bit easier than most of the stuff they deal with.

18. The General macrumors 601

Hello,

These people are trying to help you. I think you are the one whose intelligance should be questioned, not these people. You are the one who let the discs that came with it be thrown away. Since you use Linux, you must know that you can put Linux on your Macbook Pro. Ubuntu works on mine, but I prefer Debian.

- The General

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

20. The General macrumors 601

Until those disks get to you, you have two options:

1. Order discs for Macbook Pros on eBay, which will probably take just as long to get there.

2. Install Linux.

What was the problem with your installation of OS X anyway? It may be fixable. Just a thought.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3rd option: Find someone with a MBP and borrow their installer DVD. Legally you're covered.

22. The General macrumors 601

Ah yes, I didn't even consider that. Thanks for the input.

If you live anywhere near me, I'd be glad to let you use my discs. Actually, I have two sets of them, I returned my laptop, and kept the accessories, they sent me a knew everything! So if you like, I can mail them, but you'd have to pay shipping. :p

Then again, I have like only 10 posts here so you probably don't trust me. :eek:

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

That would be a sweet scam. Convince people who need install DVDs to pony up the $2.07 it costs to send an 8 oz package of DVDs across the country then don't send it. You'll be rich!

;) :D

Actually, I think it's quite generous of you to offer!

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So what you do now is you take your MacBook Pro, and the box with Tiger, and the invoice for Tiger, and walk to the nearest Apple Store. Then you explain to them what happened. What they should do is reinstall the operating system from disks that they have in the store (they must have plenty around because they lots of computers unpacked and on display), and if they are really nice there is a chance that they will give you a refund for the Tiger box. If not, you can sell it on eBay; that way you should get most of your money back. They might allow you to make a copy of the install DVDs (bring some empty DVDs with you) or even give you new DVDs.

Apple doesn't sell Tiger for Intel processors at all, because everyone who could legally run it had it in the box for free.

25. 10fp thread starter macrumors newbie