Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
My friend of mine has recently bought a 20" imac g5 and he asked me a few questions, but I figured I would share with you guys.

1) Is there a way on the imac g5 20" to turn off the display, not sleep just off?

2) As far as a DC ++ program goes I suggested to him he use ShakesPeer, however I find this program not the greatest and he doesn't really care for it either. Is there any other programs out there?

3) As far as Bit Torrents, I have just been using this application called BitTorrent to download my torrent files. Is there any other apps out there that are better than this one? I was thinking maybe a program would be able to download faster.

Comments will be appreciated.

Best,
Ken

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) I've not heard of a way, sorry.

2) No experience with this.

3) I like Azureus. It's written in Java but is pretty good all the same. Download speed is not generally influenced by the application being used though. It depends on the swarm speed. The one thing you can do is knock some holes throught the firewall.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
On my iBook, I have the Apple keyboard plugged in and the "brightness up" and "brightness down" keys are F14 and F15. I just turn the brightness down till it goes black. Can you do this on an iMac? I really don't know but it couldn't hurt.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
1) Go to System Preferences/Energy Saver and change the Sleep settings to "Put the computer to sleep = Never" and "Put the display to sleep = however long you want".

Useful for when downloading something overnight. Dimming the display on an iMac won't blackout the screen like on a PB/iBook unfortunately.

2) Sorry no experience with this.

3) I like Tomato Torrent but have heard good things about Azureus as well.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Questions 1) and 2) I can't help you with.

But I use Transmission, and I like it better than Azureus. The non-Java interface is not clunky at all. And it is specifically for the Mac, and is free.

Tomator Torrent I have no idea.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
GimmeSlack12 said:
I use Transmission, and I like it better than Azureus. The non-Java interface is not clunky at all. And it is specifically for the Mac, and is free.
I'ld second that. I've used both Tomato Torrent and Transmission, there both good but Transmissions the best, just replace the icon. Same goes for Handbrake if you even use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.