Some applications aren't working with my MBP...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C00rDiNaT0r, May 30, 2006.

1. C00rDiNaT0r macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2006
    New York, New York
    I recently purchased a MBP and tried to install Eclipse and Norton AntiVirus 10. They both worked on my PowerPC-based Mac Mini and so I assumed they would work on the MBP through Rosetta.

However, on my MBP, Eclipse doesn't load. There's an error message saying a log containing the error has been created under a certain folder, but when I checked the directory the log doesn't show up (hidden file?).
    After I boot up my machine, NAV will show an error message saying something about try re-installing or run Live-Update. When I try to run Live-Update my machine freezes up. Re-installing doesn't help at all...

Is there anything I can do to fix that problem? I need Eclipse for school work in a few months, and if I can't fix the problem for NAV I would like to know how to completely remove it, besides deleting everything you see related to NAV in Applications and the "Library/Preferences" folder.
  2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    And your want Norton Antivirus becuase..:confused:

and read this form for eclipse.
  3. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Hmm, I'm using Eclipse 3.2M5a with hardly any problems (the project window appears to stop responding occasionally, perhaps twice a week, requiring a Force Quit. But I haven't lost any work).

This is a Universal Binary, but not a final stable release. However, it works for me 99.9% of the time, and the current eclipse 3.2 is RC6. I might go ahead and install that now.

I don't have a virus checker installed so can't help with that.
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    OS X is good at getting everything when you delete it....i don't think Norton is really needed and i heard it gives problems when it is installed....

5. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I have a PPC based Mac and Norton doesn't mess anything up . . .

Even though Macs have a natural immunity to viruses :cool: there's always still a chance of a virus being coded for it. Hence the reason we still need a anti virus program, no matter how small the threat.
  6. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    Just to add: If your Mac is part of a Windows network the antivirus should eliminate the chance of your Mac transferring any viruses to your Windows based computers.
  7. C00rDiNaT0r thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2006
    New York, New York
    Thank you guys so much for your advices. :)

I'm trying to get Eclipse 3.2RC6 to install on the MBP as I'm typing on my Mac Mini right now. I will ask more questions later if there are any new problems that I encounter.

I believe I need NAV, or anything equivalent. Why? It's because of what MUCKYFINGERS and Temujin pointed said.
    I got NAV for free since my school provides it to its students and faculty, so I hope there's another (free) alternative out there that can work with my MBP...