Some applications suddenly quit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I have a brand new 17" iMac intel core duo, 1.5 GB Ram, with factory installed OSX10.4.4 which I have done all proper upgrades to OSX10.4.7, firmware updates and everything else...

I can't run Powerpoint because it will close by itself almost initially after opening up. Sometimes, Illustrator, Photoshop or other application will close by themselves or behave erratically.

I've repaired permissions, re-installes software and almost everything else short of reinstalling the OS.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Halcyon

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I too have had that problem. Im like wtf

Except its more firefox and preview than office

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's a pretty system wide problem then open a new user account in System Preferences and see if it's any better. If it isn't then open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and see if there's something using up a lot of your resources (RAM and CPU). Make sure to check All Processes, not just the default My Processes. One more thing, do you both have at least 8GB of free space on the hard drive? :)

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Maybe it has something to do with Rosetta?

I'd try trashing preferences and rebooting, otherwise re-zero the disk and re-install the OS from scratch.

5. squirrelonfire macrumors member

I have the same problem w/ serial box software. It always close the first time unexpectedly, then I have to reopen.
    its a wide open problem so I think apple should be working on fixing it instead of ignoring it.
    I'm not sure if the problem is the ram b/c Im using my mac w/ 1gig of ram and I run photoshop fast as heck.

6. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

All my software is legal, I have 1.5 GB Ram and I have like 120 GB disk space vailable...

Halcyon

7. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked the Activity Monitor and it really doesn't say much to me - it's all foreign, as I don't know what is a "lot" and what should be running and what should be not...anywhere I can find info that will enlighten me on this?

Halcyon

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just sort by CPU and then by RAM to see if there's anything using a lot of either. :)

9. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

open up the terminal, and type this exactly as shown

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

hit enter, and it'll ask for your admin password. Type that in, and hit enter...

when the command line returns, the prebinding has finished. Re-start your machine.

a short explanation:
    rather than include all of the information an application needs inside the app itself, developers store that information in libraries linked to the application. So when the application launches it locates the libraries it needs to use and then binds itself to those libraries, after which it can use them as part of it's processes.

anyway, it's possible you have apps crashing because they're having trouble finding certain libraries. Updating the prebinding might fix it. Try it once (there's no need to do it more than that), and see if that solves your problem.

10. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

has anyone found a solution to this? i have searched all over the internet and found nothing that helped

last night i had to do a few papers and had to type it into gmail and print at school because word wouldnt open

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are many many reasons why apps might be behaving this way so the more specific information we get, the higher the chance we'll be able to help. :)

AmericanIdiot12, is it just Office apps quitting? Do you have Flip4Mac, DivX and 3ivX installed? :)

12. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

I have flip4mac and divx installed

office, acqlite, photoshop are some of the ones closing

this weekend I installed Aqua4iTunes, stoplight, and aurora

I have tried uninstalling application enhancer, repairing permissions, starting a new account, and starting in safeboot mode

13. squirrelonfire macrumors member

VLC Player is the way to go

I downloaded VLC player and I was able to play all my avi file, mpeg files wo downloading any codecs at all. The program is 13 mb for the latest version 0.8.5. And it loads fast as heck.
    I Strongly recommend you all to install vlc player instead of flip for mac and divx
    To my knowledge, unless u have 2gb of ram like me, it will slow yoru computer down to have 2 many junk programs.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to confirm, did you have quitting applications after trying all of these or did the applications behave themselves in the new account and in Safe Mode? :)

15. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

They quit in both safe mode and the new account.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, this isn't easy but start by rebooting your machine. Now, remove any third party hacks, add ons or theme changers you might have installed (this might need another reboot). When you open up the first app after this, does it work? :)

17. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

It didnt work...I have no clue why its doing this still

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, head to Disk Utility and Verify your Disk (not permissions, but your actual disk/file system). Alternatively, you could jump straight into fsck. :)

19. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume passed verification

any clue what to do now?

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe try an Archive & Install. It's not a great solution, but I can't think what else might be causing this. In the long run, this might be quicker than further troubleshooting even though this is generally seen as a last resort. :eek:

21. squirrelonfire macrumors member

This might not be a reasonable solution but do you ever consider using keynote?

22. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

It could always be down to bad memory of course. Perhaps try a hardware test or pull some of the meory and see if the problem persists?

23. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

I've checked memory chips (OK), repaired permission, run disk utility (OK), almost everything short of reinstalling the system...and I would say my applications are very stable now. As a matter of fact, except for Powerpoint, none have closed on me or acted strangely ever since.

I was thinking about doing the upgrde to 10.4.8 but I will wait till the "blue screen" issue is resolved...as well as other issues I've read on other related threads in this forum.

Like I said, only applicaction giving me problems know is Powerpoint. It gets to the start up screen and closes by itself inmediately. I really don't care for Powerpoint, as I don't ever use it, and I've installed Keynote so my daughters can do their school work.

Halcyon

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just out of interest, does PowerPoint quit if you open a saved PowerPoint file? When I was having problems with PowerPoint, it'd open if I opened an already saved file but it'd crash if I opened it from the Applications folder or from the Dock.