some apps won't run

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nukiduz, Mar 25, 2007.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi there. Applications like OpenOffice or Flash Pro won't load in my mac and I've repaired disk permissions. They appear to be loading up in the dock and then they dissapear from there just like if i closed them.
    I'm running 10.4.9 on an 17" intel cd iMac, 1gb. Help would be very appreciated.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Not sure about Flash Pro but I know that Open Office requires X11 to be installed. Have you installed X11?

3. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I have a similar problem with Cabos. I launch the app from the dock, its bounces once and thats it. If I log out and then back in it will launch fine. I cant explain it, but it only happens with cabos.

4. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

It sounds like you have a problem with applications launching in Rosetta—if you don't know what this means, basically you're using an Intel Mac, but there are still applications out there which haven't been recompiled (rebuilt) to communicate directly with ('run natively on') Intel Macs. Therefore, when you do use these applications on an Intel Mac, the OS has to 'translate' the application for the Intel Mac to run—this translation is done by Rosetta.

I've discussed this problem elsewhere in these forums: most recently in the thread 'Applications close straight away'. My post (no. 9) in that thread gives some suggestions for ways to combat this problem: the way I solved the problem for good was by completely removing Unsanity's Application Enhancer (APE) following their detailed uninstall instructions. If you haven't got APE installed on your machine, then obviously you'll need to look elsewhere for a solution.

Any more problems, post back here…

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try NeoOffice, it is an Aqua port (read: looks and feels nicer on a mac) of OpenOffice...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

OpenOffice does not use Rosetta...

7. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Thanks for that link of NeoOffice, it did really help me. However I used to run Flash Pro through Rosseta the last week and now it doesn't work. I have also installed X11 and i'll try to uninstall APE later... Thanks and I'll post back.