Some Casemakers Suggest iPad 3 to Be Called iPad HD

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo is floating a rumor that the name for Apple's next tablet will be iPad HD, rather than iPad 3. They base this information on alleged part listings from Griffin and Belkin.
    We are skeptical about this assumption that third-party accessory makers get information about unreleased Apple products, but share the rumor for the sake of discussion. In the past, Apple may have disclosed the designs of new products with third parties, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the company stopped the practice because of leaks.

Given Apple's recent propensity to name iPhone and iPad models using a numerical system, it is likely that the next iPad will follow this trend.

Article Link: Some Casemakers Suggest iPad 3 to Be Called iPad HD
  2. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. macrumors 68020

Jan 25, 2009
  4. macrumors 6502

May 4, 2004
    what's creative about 3 ? the most obvious major updates are in the camera and the screen, so actually iPadHD makes a lot of sense.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    HD is overused... and to be honest, only dictionaries should have the right to use it...
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Enough with all the letters. Just make it simple and name it iPad 3. Also HD would be a bad name for it as it would undermine the retina display's resolution, which is higher than 1920x1080 if rumors are correct.
  7. macrumors 601

Mar 18, 2008
    California, United States
    iPad 2S HD?

How would you like to order the iPad 2S HD 64GB Wi-fi + 4G LTE?
  8. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Mar 9, 2008
    Case makers are already wrong. They also thought the iPhone 4s was going to be the iPhone 5. Guess this is why its on page 2...
  9. macrumors newbie

Feb 29, 2012
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

With Steve being gone, some changes is naming might happen. But an iPad HD would seem like the only update would be to a retina display. Hopefully not. The other rumors out there are as intriguing as the retina display to me.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    Apple likes simplicity right? There's not a more simple and clear name than 'iPad 3'.
  11. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2008
    Blazer town!
    iPad 3

name means nothing, simpler better

stick with iPad 3
  12. macrumors 68020

Jan 5, 2012
    The iPhone was only ever named after it's generation 1/5 times, with the iPhone 4. The other times it's had weird other names.

iPod touch is never named, just "3rd generation" or "4th generation" can be found when looking at the product info.

So far it seems iPad is a hybrid of these naming methods. iPad IS named, just after which generation of product it is.
  13. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2008
    That's like ordering an Anrdoid device...
  14. chrmjenkins, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2007
    The iPhone 5 cases that were going around were based on the leaked tapered design that never actually happened. I don't think anyone every thought they were making a case that looked different that was for something called the 4S, so the situation isn't the same here.

edit: also, the cases we saw leak were from Chinese non name-brand manufacturers. We didn't see any designs from the big name brands until the phone was announced.
  15. macrumors 603

Oct 5, 2008
    iPad HD is cool. I will still call it iPad, anyway. Lol.
  16. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    And then what's next? Honestly, just call it iPad 3. Everyone's just going to call it "iPad" anyway
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2011
    Southern Plains
    How about iSlaHDe? They registered iSlate after all! :D

Also, they could bundle the iPad HD with the HD sunglasses from this homeshopping TV channel. :cool:

Now back to reality: Who thinks that Apple will start to change their strategy of keeping it simple? They have their own word for "HD" if they would use it - which they don't - it is called "Retina." They didn't use it for the iPhone - they called it iPhone 4 - not iPhone HD or iPhone Retina... you get the hint? :rolleyes:
  18. macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2006
    San Francisco
    I'd be happy with the 'HD' moniker--makes it sound like an upgrade in quality (which it would be).
  19. macrumors member

Apr 23, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How about just ipad?
  20. macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2007
    I've said it before, but why not just iPad. No numbers or letters after it, just iPad.
  21. Kid A, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

macrumors regular

May 1, 2008
    To echo what someone earlier said, i disagree with the article's assertion that Apple has a propensity to name iOS devices numerically. This has happened, exactly what, twice, EVER?? The same number of times they've named an upgrade using the previous number and adding an S. And if we go by "recent propensity", then the iPhone 4S being the latest device, you'd have to expect "iPad 2S", NOT "iPad 3". :rolleyes: (Just saying).

iPod touch - always just called that, regardless the gen.

iPhone (not iPhone 1)
    iPhone 3G (not 2)
    iPhone 3GS (not 3)
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S (not 5)

iPad (not iPad 1)
    iPad 2

Who knows what they'll call "iPad 3". I'd guess "iPad 3", but it could be iPad HD, iPad Pro, iPad 2S, iPad, iPad 2+, iPad 2HD, iPad 2X, who knows...

I know this is totally unrelated, but remember when they dropped the expected "3" from Final Cut Studio?

Final Cut Studio
    Final Cut Studio 2
    Final Cut Studio (again!)

They don't enumerate iterations of Macs or iPods or Apple TV.

I really don't see any pattern here.

What would be interesting is if they DO call it "iPad 3" it would actually be setting a new precedent for iPad naming that no other Apple product seems to follow, including iPhone which has only once been named numerically per its generation.
  22. macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2007
    New York City & South Florida
    I really hope it's not the iPad HD. Then what will the next one be called? iPad HD 2? iPad HD 4? iPad 4? Or iPad 3? For the sake of the future of the iPad, it should be called iPad 3.
  23. macrumors member

Jul 25, 2011
    Well, there's rumors they want to keep selling the iPad 2, so it makes sense not calling the new iPad "iPad 3", i'd make "iPad 2" sound outdated.
  24. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just no!

iPad HD...are they even being serious? It won't happen now or ever.
  25. macrumors regular

May 1, 2008
    "iPad" is simpler. ;)

...although perhaps not clearer.
    So, true? :confused: