Some coming soon purchases help here

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ok, as I ready myself to pay homage to the Intel Overlords - I am ready to add to my Mac computer needs/desires.

Most everything I do is OK with the systems I have. The following areas are the ones I would like to see a BIG performance increase in.

Right now my G4's (1ghz to 1..25ghz) are serving me OK. If there were an area that I would like to see a good boost in is in the converting of AVI and MPG videos to DVD through iDVD. Some now take 12 to 24 hours to complete. So the question here is, would I see better performance in this task with a dual PM verses an iMac G5? The way the specs and pricing are on the iMac's at this point - I think that this may be the best option till the Macintels come online.

I am a photographer that recently upgraded to CS2. But the Barefeat benchmarks on the MP PS filters/actions don't make me swoon about the performance. In someways I am hoping that Core Images will see new life for the likes of Photoshop with the Intel based Mac's.

I also want to get into iChat Av. iSight seems cool enough. But for about double the price I an opportunity to get a Canon ZR series MiniDV Camcorder. I did some searching on the Apple site, and came up empty about using a camcorder as webcam.

So any suggestions and/or comments about the two "bothersome" areas and the best Mac solution at this point?

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I can confirm that my Canon ZR20 and ZR65 camcorders work perfectly in iChat A/V (Tiger). If that helps.

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, thought I had seen something using camcorders with the iChat. Would think that the Zr100 would be compatible too.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

AFAIK, pretty much any Firewire-equipped camcorder will work. For example, my ancient Sony works quite nicely - and it predates iChat by several years.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, but probably not enough to justify the price difference, unless you use iDVD all the time. From what I hear from friends with them, the iMac G5s do a pretty decent job with iDVD.

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Any word on times for the conversion process between the two?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If no one else posts, I'll see if I can find out. Which PM are you considering? Dual-2? I have the Rev A version, which I'd assume would provide comparable performance.

8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks. I am looking at either the 2.0 or 2.3 PM's, if I go that route. My mind is saying that the iMac 17" would be enough, but the heart is saying go for broke.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're doing photography - the 20" iMac is the way to go if that's what you're going to choose. If you go with a PowerMac, get the Dell 24" LCD - it makes a huge difference when you have to work with larger image files. I can't even imagine going back to something that doesn't have 1920x1200 res....

D

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I already have a Dell FP2001 20" that I would use on the PM, or span with the hack on an iMac.