Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Let me try this again, my company does use ipads for presentations. If I'm making a presentation to a potential 50 or 100 million account you bet I'm going to come armed to the teeth with technology and backup technology. These days, nothing is quite so unwieldy as to preclude one from carrying around multiple redundant pieces of equipment including a small printer for contracts on the spot. If anything comes up out of the ordinary I have the equipment to handle it without shutting down the presentation mid-stream.
Still non-responsive, but whatever. You enjoy carrying around all that extra stuff because your IPP is crippled.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Still non-responsive, but whatever. You enjoy carrying around all that extra stuff because your IPP is crippled.
Or maybe you don't work in an environment where you deal with million dollar+ accounts and don't understand the amount of planning necessary. But to each their own in the success of their business affairs.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
you must not be using email attachments also... i mean, only pictures are legitimate business email attachments of course.

Should probably have a clue what you're talking about before trying to be sarcastically clever. ;)

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Should probably have a clue what you're talking about before trying to be sarcastically clever. ;)
yer absolutely right. i should get some clues. been living under the rock for a while. do enlighten me. how do i attach file when replying to emails? step by step please.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
yer absolutely right. i should get some clues. been living under the rock for a while. do enlighten me. how do i attach file when replying to emails? step by step please.

The first image is clearly for a new message but all of those options are available when replying or forwarding as well. And no, you're not limited to a single attachment, or just photos--any file type will work. The second screenshot is the compatible locations that I have installed on my iPhone from which I can attach these files. And considering I'm sure you'll come back with 'what if I don't have access to the internet and my cloud services,' Documents is a local file storage application. Goodreader would also work.

IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2559.jpg

Good enough explanation for you?

somebodys-about-to-eat-crow.png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The first image is clearly for a new message but all of those options are available when replying or forwarding as well. And no, you're not limited to a single attachment, or just photos--any file type will work. The second screenshot is the compatible locations that I have installed on my iPhone from which I can attach these files. And considering I'm sure you'll come back with 'what if I don't have access to the internet and my cloud services,' Documents is a local file storage application. Goodreader would also work.

View attachment 602300 View attachment 602301

If he doesn't have access to Internet, how is he sending an email anyway?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If he doesn't have access to Internet, how is he sending an email anyway?

Yeah I know, just being a bit of a wise ass myself considering every single issue of this nature eventually evolves into 'but the iPhone doesn't have access to a local file system so it's not a real OS' argument. ;)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I know, just being a bit of a wise ass myself considering every single issue of this nature eventually evolves into 'but the iPhone doesn't have access to a local file system so it's not a real OS' argument. ;)

I hate that argument. Then when somebody points out they just open files through the app anyway, they're told they're not the superior power user or whatever term the person wants to use.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I hate that argument. Then when somebody points out they just open files through the app anyway, they're told they're not the superior power user or whatever term the person wants to use.
Agreed. The average user would never use a file structure. The only thing I can imagine is a "Documents" folder like on a Mac, but really as the connectivity of the world improves, solutions like Dropbox, iCloud Drive, and Google Drive negate the need for a true file structure.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

Ok. Thanks for the tip. the attachment option is new. its a welcome addition.

attaching *any* file with email on ios:
1. plug in the phone
2. open itunes
3. copy file to Documents (or another app with pseudo file system, did not try Goodreader yet)
4. with Documents app in particular, after copying using itunes, you then have to MOVE files to "documents" folder within Documents app for email app to see it.
4. try to attach it with email.

using OneDrive for email attachment is easier but not so efficient. cloud has its purpose/benefits but its not the same thing as having access to files locally. if you are attaching file from OneDrive, you are essentially first downloading it, then it gets attached to your email.

lets say you dont mind jumping through hoops just so you can attach a .log or .txt file with an email, you then have to worry about the particular app getting deleted from your phone. why? i'm sure you know that if the particular app is gone, then the precious files in it are gone too. yes? i know there is a solution to the the "deletion" problem with pass code restriction. but the inefficiency lies elsewhere. because your content/files are invisible to another app, you may inadvertently copy the SAME files multiple times in different apps. Did i copy this file in "Dcouments" or "goodreader" or "smart office" or "wps office"? which file version is the latest/modified one? the one in goodreader or the one in smart office? a solution is using ONE app with pseudo file system to avoid these problems. if you use whatsapp, or viber, try sharing from "photos" first. you will be able to share through the messenger app but the SAME file will be copied again in your photos. the space used will add up.

disallowing access to file system by apple on ios is artificial limitation in the name of "security". it is pure greed. lets be rational. no software is 100% secure. there will be flaws and fixes will follow. have a look at IOS vulnerabilities (750) vs Android vulnerabilities (148). selling content is a big part of apples revenue, so they ensure any kind of sharing of files is intentionally made difficult. your BT or NFC hardware in iphone are certainly more capable but they are restricted.

ok. i will stop bickering here with a question. small annoyance for me. is there a way to stop the "vibration" for whatsapp/viber/hangouts notification? for instance, i want to keep vibration for call notification but not for anything else. adjusting the vibrate slider turns off vibration for everything including calls. tips will be appreciated. thanks.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
What if the document file you want to share is confidential in nature and/or contains info you do not want attached to email on the Internet? You're sitting right next to the person you want to share it with having just collaborated to finish it. How do you give that person a file copy from an IPP?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What if the document file you want to share is confidential in nature and/or contains info you do not want attached to email on the Internet? You're sitting right next to the person you want to share it with having just collaborated to finish it. How do you give that person a file copy from an IPP?

If they're right next to you and you want to show it to them ... Show it to them. They're right there, the screen is big.

Reactions: tbayrgs and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You upload the document to a secure email enclave. There is virtually little in the business world that does not go through the internet; a lot goes through encrypted. If you are one of the few business people where you go to a site, no internet, no phone, no technology you bring your sp4 and ipp.

khha4113

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013

View attachment 602300 View attachment 602301

Is it for Iphones only since I don't see these options on my Ipad 4 when I open a new message in Mail? BTW, mine still is 8.1.2. When I want to send a photo from my Ipad, I have to open Photo app then attach it to Mail.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Is it for Iphones only since I don't see these options on my Ipad 4 when I open a new message in Mail? BTW, mine still is 8.1.2. When I want to send a photo from my Ipad, I have to open Photo app then attach it to Mail.

You could always upgrade. I get those options on my Air 2.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
You upload the document to a secure email enclave.
Not every secure/private document is business related and/or have access to secure/encrypted networks/servers. Nor do all businesses maintain access to encrypted networks/servers. You see, there are these things called small businesses and even sole practitioners. They have business computing needs too. The document could be personal, working with a family member or friend, that contains bank account or social security numbers (e.g. drafting a basic will or outline for a will).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not every secure/private document is business related and/or have access to secure/encrypted networks/servers. Nor do all businesses maintain access to encrypted networks/servers. You see, there are these things called small businesses and even sole practitioners. They have business computing needs too. The document could be personal, working with a family member or friend, that contains bank account or social security numbers (e.g. drafting a basic will or outline for a will).
Okay, so you have made the scenario rather narrow. You're going to a meeting with one client. At this meeting there is no internet or phone service. The client has no technology. You are going to show him/her a presentation; and if he/she likes the presentation write a contract on the spot, copy it to a flash drive and then have the client electronically sign it. The client wants a copy IMMEDIATELY so there is no going outside where there is internet and mail the contract.

Did I get that right?

If I'm going to a meeting such as the above it would be with my iphone, ipad and SP4. Anyway it's been fun, I guess we could devise specific scenarios such as I'm going to a client meeting and client tells me he/she will only have their ipad. Pages and airdrop to the rescue.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
*Bangs head against brick*

The question was "How do you give that person a file copy from an IPP?"

I'm ibviously not getting the point. So you need to give them a file for some unknown reason, can't put it on a priapvate cloud account of any sort? Actual use case is ...

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Okay, so you have made the scenario rather narrow. You're going to a meeting with one client. At this meeting there is no internet or phone service. The client has no technology. You are going to show him/her a presentation; and if he/she likes the presentation write a contract on the spot, copy it to a flash drive and then have the client electronically sign it. The client wants a copy IMMEDIATELY so there is no going outside where there is internet and mail the contract.

Did I get that right?

If I'm going to a meeting such as the above it would be with my iphone, ipad and SP4. Anyway it's been fun, I guess we could devise specific scenarios such as I'm going to a client meeting and client tells me he/she will only have their ipad. Pages and airdrop to the rescue.
I actually do that a lot to the point where I don't think I've ever given a presentation where any bit of tech I had was on a network. In my life thumb drives are a no go, if I'm on works network with a work computer online storage is blocked, and WiFi onto works network isn't allowed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I actually do that a lot to the point where I don't think I've ever given a presentation where any bit of tech I had was on a network. In my life thumb drives are a no go, if I'm on works network with a work computer online storage is blocked, and WiFi onto works network isn't allowed.
That would be me 2, no thumbs or otg (for android). But there are those where that doesn't matter.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Ok. Thanks for the tip. the attachment option is new. its a welcome addition.

attaching *any* file with email on ios:
1. plug in the phone
2. open itunes
3. copy file to Documents (or another app with pseudo file system, did not try Goodreader yet)
4. with Documents app in particular, after copying using itunes, you then have to MOVE files to "documents" folder within Documents app for email app to see it.
4. try to attach it with email.

Why are you insisting on using a local transfer method? If I think I'll need access to a file at a later time, I'm saving it in a cloud folder. I now don't have to worry about what device I'm using at the time I need it. Heck, I can use your device to get it if need be. Local storage is a far inferior solution in most cases if you value flexibility.

using OneDrive for email attachment is easier but not so efficient. cloud has its purpose/benefits but its not the same thing as having access to files locally. if you are attaching file from OneDrive, you are essentially first downloading it, then it gets attached to your email.

I disagree--it's much more efficient. What if the file you need wasn't tranferred to local storage the last time you plugged in your phone? And no, it's not the same as storing locally--doesn't take up value storage space on my phone. And unless you have extremely tight data limits, are not regularly near wifi and need to send very large files, why does it matter if it had to download in the background?

I haven't plugged my phone into my Mac for anything other than to create an encrypted backup to use to restore a new phone or iPad, for a few years. My music is all on Google Play Music and Apple Cloud Music, any documents or files I frequently access are stored in the cloud, my photos are in multiple cloud services (Apple, Google, Amazon). Local storage is comparably inefficient if you use more than a single device, which I believe is pretty much everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah256
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.