some DRM stuff that i don't understand

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jvaska, Apr 29, 2004.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
    I really only started using iTunes recently so there are things I don't get yet.

So, let's say I buy a song from the iTunes store and put it on my computer. How many copies of that particular song file can I make? Isn't it 5 or so?

But let's say that in the next 5 years I have to do backups, maintenace, get a new computer, transfer files, etc...I will use up all 5 of those. What the heck do I do then?

Additionally, I have a large cd collection, much of which I have loaded into iTunes. Am I going to have a similar problem 5 years from now with these songs which don't have the DRM license and which I bought fair and square?

If either of the above are a real issue, then I'll probably dump iTunes and just use some other mp3 application. It's cool and all, but I don't need it that much.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    you can make as many copies of your iTMS bought songs as you like. they will, however, only play via iTunes on 5 different computers at a time. as long as you deauthorize computers as you upgrade, replace, etc., you will be able to play on 5 computers at a time - those 5 computers aren't permanent.

if you rip CDs, they won't have any DRM. none of the restrictions apply. those restrictions are only for songs purchased via iTMS. it's not an iTunes - the application - restriction.
  3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    In iTunes you can authorise and deauthorise computers for your music to gone on them

As was said when you buy a new Mac/PC you can autherise that one and deauthorise a older one

Haven't tried this myself and since I'm in the UK and have no access to the music on iTMS this is all I can tell you

But that should solve your problem :)
  4. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
    Good, so it's not really an issue. I think Apple is handling this pretty well so far.

But I think I speak for most people when I say that upon the next version update I'm not going to install it immediately until the dust has settled.

Are you not able to download the free song from iTunes? I can do so from Brussels and they don't have my credit card even. I did register moons ago though when I was back in the states.