Some DVI connection questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmptyG, Mar 4, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2007
    Hello again! Loving my new MBP (just got it yesterday) and had a few more questions...

Outputting to HDTV - I hooked up the MBP with a DVI -> HDMI connector. Video looks superb, worked right off the bat. However, the audio did not. I know DVI carries only video signals, so I hooked up a simple audio cable (standard 1/4 headphone jacks on both ends) to my TV. Didn't work. The sound on the MBP is muted and no audio gets output. What am I doing wrong?

DVI connection to an LCD monitor - I use my PC hooked up to an LCD monitor (19" widescreen). I switched the cord to the MBP and it worked great. :) However, I only had one DVI input to the LCD and need to be able to use both computers with it. Is there a way I can do this (a switch or something) without going broke?

Thanks for any assistance!!! :)
  2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2005
    The jack on the TV.. is it an input?

Get a KVM switch on eBay for connetions to LCD from both computers.
  3. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2007
    Yep. I have an HDMI line in for the video, and right above it is "audio line in (DVI)" which indicates it's the corresponding line in to use with a DVI cable.
    Is there a setting in the MBP I need to enable/change?

Hmm, I didn't know there were DVI KVMs. I have a VGA/PS2 KVM now. I'll look into that.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Nope, but there may well be on your TV... Also check the volume on your MBP: it's a headphone socket, not line out (which is the level your TV will be expecting)