Some files i can't empty from trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by virus1, Jan 22, 2006.

1. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

A few files that are lying around from some old application demo that i deleted are inside the demo application, and is refusing to empty from the trash, because it says it is locked. When i open up the application, the files are locked, but when i go to the info pane, i cant uncheck the locked box because it is disabled. So i go to the permissions/ownership part of the info pane, and i unlock it and change it to my permission, but an error comes up, so i can't unlock it.

Pain in the ass. Help, anyone?

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Finder -> Secure Empty Trash

That oughta do it. Make sure that you REALLY don't need them if you're going to do this though, they don't come back. :)

3. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

that has to do with how it deletes it. when i try, it says it cant delete it because it is use.

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

When this happens to me, i just re-name the file that i want to trash, and then trash it. It works quite well in my experience.

5. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

6. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

No Problem :)

7. pramodapple macrumors newbie

You can also delete from the terminal, in Mac os X, I always use "sudo rm -R and drop the file into the terminal and it writes the path automatically... in your case it would be "dropping the trash folder into the termnal after the command" and it will ask for the admin passwd and then it will delete... you allready got the solution, but I thought I will share with you..

Good Luck..
    Pramod
    PowerBook 1.67GHZ/1GB RAM