Some final car-buying questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Oct 29, 2005.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

Getting ready to buy my (used) car now. Would like to get some final strategic thoughts and observations from people smarter than me (in other words, everyone feel free to jump in).

-I have heard that one good buying strategy is to locate the car you want at a handful of dealerships, then call them up, tell them you're shopping for quotes, and make the dealers bid against each other. Then take the lowest quote, get it in writing, then take it to the dealer and go from there. Anyone tried this approach?

-If I buy a used car from a certified-car place, do I still need to have a third-party mechanic check it out on the spot, or can I have it done during the initial 30-day "lemon warranty" period?

-Should I conduct the trade-in on my old car as a separate transaction?

Thanks!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, if you ever want to get a used car checked by a mechanic, never never NEVER let them choose the mechanic. ;)

Secondly, I think you'll find getting a quote to be tougher than you think. Car salesmen are smarter than you think, which means too bad for most customers.

I say tell them that you have been around looking at that particular model at other dealerships and got a quote, but don't tell them any more than that. Don't tell them what quote you got (ie: the asking price from the other dealer). Don't even tell them whether the price was good or bad. Let them wonder. Sit down and talk about pricing, but again, don't tell them exactly what price you were offered from another dealer. Also don't tell them how much you're willing to spend.

3. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Do not use ebay i have read many scams about ebay and cars. Also get the whole history of the car as it could have been water damaged written off then sold to you. So be careful