Some final questions before my first Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solafekxela, Jan 4, 2007.

1. solafekxela macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2005
    I am finally going to buy a 20" iMac next Tuesday, after the keynote of course. I do have some final questions before I do so, though.

First, I know its best to upgrade memory by buying it myself, but I am not sure whether or not I will need any extra (planning on getting the standard 1 GB). I don't plan on installing any outside software, especially if it would require Rosetta. The only demanding app that makes me think I might need some extra memory would be Final Cut Express. This leads me to my second question. Does anyone have some advice on the differences between Final Cut Express and iMovie HD and whether or not its worth the upgrade (I think its $150). Also, does iChat AV require a .Mac subscription? Its not a big deal if it does, but I'm just curious. Lastly, are there any extreme shortcomings of iWork that should prevent me from buying it? I will still have Office on my old PC, but I'd also kind of like to have some work applications on the new Mac. I think that's all for now, sorry for the length post.
  2. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    i have a white mb c2d and i opted to get 2gb even though i dont run very intensive programs, but its just better to have the capacity because even though you wont even use the 1gb of ram, you dont want your ram running at near full capacity all the time.
  3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    A gig of RAM should be sufficient for the get go. Frankly, iMovie is as good of a movie-making program (consumer not pro) as you can find. Try it out first, then, if you need to make those extra effects, titles, whatever, spend the $150.
    Yes- iChat requires a .mac. Alternatively, you can use an AOL IM account.
    iWork is awesome. Pages and Keynote, in terms of usability are head and shoulders above Word and PP. Also, there is a rumor that the 07 version will have a spreadsheet program (which I'm hoping will allow me to break from Excell). Hope this helps
  4. solafekxela thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2005

thanks for the info, it was very helpful. one more question i forgot about though. i want to be able to run my iMac to a projector with audio through a receiver. i was hoping to use a direct dvi connection to my projector (with an adapter for the iMac), but I realized I would need to somehow get audio through the receiver. Does anyone have some suggestions? maybe it would just be cheaper to get an iTV.
  5. tilman macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    Memory: To upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB on your own, you have to buy 2 GB (2x1GB) of memory, and dump the 1 GB (2x512MB) that the computer came with. That will cost you more than the $175 Apple charges you for the upgrade, unless you sell the 1 GB to somebody else.

iChat: iChat works with a free AIM account, too. .Mac is not required.

Audio: the iMac has a Mini-DVI connector for video output, and a separate optical audio out connector. So no problem feeding the video to your projector, and audio to your receiver.

iMovie vs. Final Cut Express: Give iMovie a try first. It might be all you need.