Some general questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by skiing squirrel, Mar 15, 2003.

1. skiing squirrel macrumors newbie

Hi, I am pretty new to macs (my parents bought a cube, and an Ibook, but after my sister poured nail polish remover on the Ibook, I was forced to give up the cube, and went to PC) So, I went the PC route, built my own, and learned a great deal about them... I can almost fix them as fast as my sister breaks them! Anyway, I decided to bring out the Ibook today, and connected it to my 25 inch phillips tv. When on the tv 640x480@50hz in simulscan pal mode yeilds the clearest results, BUT it is in black and white on the screen. How do I make it color?

I want to add some more ram in the ibook, but I need a tool that is star shapped or something like that to open it. Can i find it at a local hardware store?

Do USB wireless keyboards/mouses exsist? The fact that I can type on AIM while laying in bed cracks me up. :D
    Thanks for your replies!

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Some general questions

They sure do.[​IMG]

I've used a Logitech one with my now sold Powermac and my iBook, just plugged it in and it worked, no drivers or anything to mess around with.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

you have an NTSC only tv. PAL is better than NTSC. though the difference is marginal.

A PAL to NTSC converter Lektropack CP 100N or other model would do the trick. There are many converters available, especially Emerson has a complete productline. you want one that converts colours from PAL to NTSC as most converters only know the other way, from NTSC to PAL or complete converting including lines and frame rates. www.threedoubleyou.com. Prices are about 50 US$.

but i have a feeling you are just going to switch the output to NTSC until you buy a new tv...

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

The star-shaped screw is a TORX screw, and you will need the right size TORX screwdriver. I am almost POSITIVE that for the iBook casing, you need a TORX 8 screwdriver. They can be hard to find, but I found a TORX socket set at Radio Shack for about $8 and it includes a TORX 8, 10, and 15 bits.

Have fun!

Regards,
    Gus

EDIT: I just re-read your post. If you are wanting to add RAM to an iBook, all you have to do is lift up the keyboard. The only screws you have to unscrew are on the AirPort card carraige-There are 2 I think, and they are just small Phillips head screws. The RAM slot is right under that.

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I baught some ram from Newerram.com.
    It came with the proper Torx head.

What modle of iBook do you own?