Some Gitmo detainees freed elsewhere

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 16, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

how many times have we heard on this forum that, if they're there, they must be guilty, therefore torture is okay?

i can only assume that some number of innocent men are now interested in harming the US.

2. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

They're taken captive.....you're not happy.

They're let go....you're not happy.

Something tells me you're looking for reasons to stay angry.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

something tells me you'd rather not discuss the facts of the article.

i'm happy if innocent men are released. i'm not happy with what the bush administration has done in my name. are you?

4. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

The article says tribal feuds resulted in the arrest of some men. Why do you want to blame our country for other men's lies? Why aren't you outraged that Afghani's would falsely accuse one another?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You may be unaware that the US was offering $5,000 per man handed over to them. If you reduce due process to the payment of a bounty, innocent people will suffer. Guantanamo was/is a travesty. You should be thoroughly ashamed of your Administration for doing this. Or are you saying that it's OK because "all's well that ends well", and it's "water under the bridge"?

Every wrongful detention is a score for those you are fighting, as is every innocent killed. Whose side are you on?

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Who's to say he isn't. But why was the US administration stupid enough to believe these accusations?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Kalns, be honest. Would you be mad if you were jailed for years without having done anything wrong? Would you be mad if one of your family members or friends were likewise jailed for no reason? Would you still be mad that they were jailed after you/they were released?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As usual, they heard what they wanted to hear. After all, they'd paid good money for it, so I suppose they wanted to give the US taxpayer good value. This was not stupidity, it was criminality.

9. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Let's take a look at the situation. Our troops acting as soldiers and policemen and only trained for one of those jobs. What's more, they're in a foreign country where they don't understand the culture of the customs. All they know is that there are people there who want to kill them. Now if they get a tip that one of these people is in a certain location, would you expect them to ignore that? Moreover, how are they to determine if these threats are legite or not? Are they to be detectives now too?

You ask too much and expect too much. Mistakes were made and they're being corrected. I see no reason to bitch and moan about it.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It takes years for the administration to fix these mistakes? What is going on is horrible and everyone on up to Bush and co is responsible.

Or in other words, I make a call and say that you Kalns are doing terrorist activities, they should just lock you up without investigating.

This sounds way too much like a witchhunt to me.

"She turned me into a newt"
    "A newt?"
    "I got all better."

11. Queso macrumors G4

All this says to me is that the allies of America respect the rule of law and the principle of innocent until proven guilty more than America itself does.

Well, America under Bush anyway.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The difference between us is we've understood they were mistakes all along, so we've been pointing that out. You, apparently, first want to pretend no mistakes were made, and then when it's proved that there were, dismiss them as unimportant.

I'm amazed at your lack of compassion for human beings.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you think that 3 years is a "reasonable" time to hold somebody in jail by "mistake?"

14. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I think it's a drop in a bucket in the grand scheme of things. If you want to pull a Kerry and call the troops morons for arresting innocent people be my guest. I don't hold them responsible. My degree of compassion is of little relevance. Nothing I do can change what has happened. I fault the men who turned them over in the first place.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Three years is up to 5% of your life. That is a damn sight more than a drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. :eek:

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It obviously is not a drop in the bucket. It's another ugly stain on America's standing in the world.

Also, Kerry never called the troops morons, so you can knock off the Limbaughian debating tactics.

17. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

So who are you going to blame? The men who turned them in, or the troops who arrested them?

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

arresting potentially threatening people during a conflict is one thing......transporting them half way around the world and holding them for 3 years is a totally different thing

you're twisting this around to be something against the troops when really it's about the politicians making policy

you fault the men who turned them over in the first place, and they deserve the blame, but you should also fault the people who held them for 3 years.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Do I get more choices? I was going to blame the obviously inept system that couldn't figure out they weren't terrorists after they were sent to Gitmo, but it appears I don't have that option.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the people who keep them locked up for 3 years without the due process of laws in a concentration camp halfway around the world from where they were captured

21. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

And how exactly were the men who held them supposed to find out if the claims against them were valid or not? Are we to expect that during a war we'd send over a team to investigate all of the charges being brought against them?

22. Queso macrumors G4

If they were prisoners of war, the Geneva Convention is applicable. Otherwise, if they are not, they are entitled to a trial. THAT is the way the modern world is supposed to work.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seems that the countries the prisoners were returned to were able to do those investigations and either charge or release them quite quickly

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A rookie NYC detective would have been able to get to the bottom of each of these poor schmucks' cases in less than a day and with little more than an interview.

25. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

The suspected terrorist would not be protected under the Geneva convention

4.1.2 Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, provided that they fulfill all of the following conditions:
    that of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;
    that of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance (there are limited exceptions to this among countries who observe the 1977 Protocol I);
    that of carrying arms openly;
    that of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.