Some greatly need network advice. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Aug 5, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

hi there, my dad brought home a new iMac 20inch and a macbook pro 17" the problem is below:

i have a mac mini connected to my windows lan newtork. i want to connect my airport to both new computers using my mac mini as a base? is it possible ??? please help as i really wanna try the new comps out!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

do you have an airport card in the mac mini? if you do.. it is possible for you to share the internet from it.

go to system preferences>sharing>internet tab and select the internet from your ethernet port to be shared via airport and click start.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You mean you want to use your Mac mini as an Airport base station instead of getting an actual base station?

If so, on the mini go to System Preferences->Sharing->Internet. Tell it to share the internet from Ethernet to Airport and make sure Airport is turned on and then click start. That is it, you should be able to connect to a wireless network created by your mini and get internet from it.

4. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

yes . what i want to do is use the mac mini as a internet base station

5. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

once i have done the thing on my mac mini how do i connect the macbook pro?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there should be a little radar thing in the menubar, click on that and join the network.

7. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

now i have a radar with arrow going through it???

8. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

i cannot set up a network on the macbook pro... i dont get the choice to create one... i only have under the airport logo...... airport on. turn airport off. internet sharing:eek:n. "name of computer" . open internet sharing.. use interference robustness.... how do i create a network?