Some gripes with Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sznaps, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

So far with my 12 hours of time on osx 10.9 I have come across numerous features that aren't as advertised during the keynote yesterday.

-Cannot get maps app to send to Iphone (Iphone is running IOS 7)
    -Dock does not move to other monitors automatically
    -Notifications from Iphone do not show on Mac

Were these features not included in this developers release?

2. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Have you opened the Maps app on your iPhone and made sure it can use locations services? I had to do that before "send to iPhone" would work, but it does work.

I don't have dual monitors so I can't test that one, although I am trying to figure out how to use AppleTV to Airplay as a second monitor.

I didn't know this was supposed to be a thing, but it isn't working for me either if its a thing.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, location services is working on my iphone and within the maps app. I'm going to give it some time and i'll mess with it a little. I'll post my findings here.

4. macrumors newbie

Click the Airplay icon on your mac, choose Apple TV. Once that is done you get an option on the icon drop down to extend desktop. Seems to work a lot like AMD Radeon multidisplay.

5. macrumors member

no iBooks either, and I can't get the send to iPhone option either, nor notifications from iPhone

6. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have a 2009 MBP. As far as I know I can only Airplay music to the AppleTV. I guess that didn't change with Mavericks...

The only Airplay icon I know of is in iTunes and if you Option-Click the Sound icon in the menubar.

7. macrumors member

if an Airplay display is available then, if under settings >> displays, >> "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" is ticked , then it will show an airplay icon in the menu bar at the top.

8. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Well then that settles it. At least for the moment, mid-2009 13" MBP does not have Airplay display feature in Mavericks.

9. macrumors member

travisbrowning

You have to bring your cursor to the bottom of the screen you want it on, then try and bring your cursor down further and it activates the dock.

10. richard6r, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

macrumors regular

Some gripes with Mavericks

Hey guys, new to the forum and just finished installing my clean install of mavericks. Liking it so far. Unfortunately I learned some tidbits I don't like...

The new tabs feature completely removed (from what I can tell) color coded folders. Now it just replaces the colors with the tag dot next to the name. Not what I wanted...

Facetiming with someone used to be good until now. I can't listen to youtube videos or watch or edit anything in iMovie without it ducking the sound. There isn't a setting in the FaceTime app to disable the ducking and none in the system preferences sound icon. :(

The "new" safari removed the cover flow history feature. I quite liked it and used it a lot too! I hope apple really considers adding these small features back in. Though it's genuinely a matter of preference since I've been accustomed to mountain lion. Anyone else have gripes with the new system ? :)

Also does ANYONE have this glitch/bug?

[​IMG]

11. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can see cover flow going because Apple has removed it from other products. Not to make excuses for apple but since this is a beta its not surprising some things don't work out too well.

Submit a but report to apple, the apple developer site has link or means to do that (I'm not sure tbh) to let apple know something isn't working right.

12. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

What do you mean by "ducking"?

13. macrumors 6502a

FaceTime has priorty over sound so everything else is quieter.

14. macrumors 65816

And yet a cover flow like is coming back to iOS 7 in the multitasking view.

15. macrumors 68020

It seems very unusual to me that you'd want to carry on a FaceTime conversation while listening to Youtube or editing video.

16. macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yeah this is interesting, I wonder if there will be a way to hack that back in.

OSX really just needs a volume mixer like Windows. I'm actually rather shocked that such a thing doesn't exist already, certainly one aspect that Windows clearly has OSX beat in.

Yeah I think Apple is phasing out 'Cover Flow'. I wouldn't even be surprised if it leaves Finder before Mavericks goes out of beta.

Yeah I have that bug too. Something about having 0 of a type of content just doesn't cooperate with the storage tab. I remember in Lion and ML it would show some other stupid impossible number like 1 Exabyte or something.

Not really having any serious gripes so far aside from things which are obviously bugs.

Here some of my nitpicks though:
    • Shutdown is worse than Mountain Lion (30+ second shut down on SSD)
    • Notes looks god awful
    • Notes font does not match web font so any note using tabs or spacing looks messed up on the web/other devices
    • Game Center looks awful
    • Reminders looks awful
    • Text edit still doesn't have an iCloud folder on the web or iOS
    • Chess is still a thing
    • iCloud still doesn't have some sort of Dropbox like feature
    • Finder still doesn't let you sort with folders on top
    • Finder doesn't have an option to show or hide hidden files (although it's pretty easy to make a service to toggle that)
    • Lots of Apple apps still can't go full screen (I would expect them all to have this option by now)
      • Activity monitor
      • Reminders
      • Text Edit
      • Contacts
      • Image Capture
      • Dictionary
      • Probably some others

17. macrumors regular

It's what I usually do with my significant other.. or we'll share youtube videos between the conversation, etc etc. Don't think it particularly matters how I spend my FaceTime but the ducking is just plain annoying.

Does anyone else have some serious sleep/wake issues? When waking it's really unresponsive for about 10 seconds and after the screen finally comes up the keyboard and system is frozen for another 5. 2012 mba..

18. 53kyle, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

macrumors 65816

53kyle

I have that glitch/bug

EDIT: My ML Partiton is fine even shown in mavericks, see second picture

Attached Files:

19. macrumors regular

I ran a fix permissions on the hard drive and it came up with some errors, I don't know if thats what fixed it. I also re-installed the system twice but it properly displays the right storage now.

20. macrumors 68020

Repair Permissions always comes up with error messages, and its ability to fix things is massively over-stated.

The Bug in the Storage info most likely relates to Spotlight. A re-index would probably fix it -- which was a byproduct of reinstalling. Twice. :p

21. macrumors regular

Great. Good to know :eek:

22. macrumors newbie

Send to iPhone nowhere

I have maps on ios7 working with loc data but still not showing "send to iPhone" from maps app. Any updates on this? 2012 Air.

23. macrumors regular

ikm19

Just logout from iCloud in system preference and log in back to get send to iPhone working in Maps

24. macrumors 68020

There's a lot of people in this thread that act like it's the finished version.

It's not done.... that's what BETA means :eek:

25. Guest

Sky Blue

Yes. Read the Release Notes.