Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
Hi, well after buying a maxtor diamondmax plus 9 200gig ata133 and then finding out that it makes horrible cliking noises i am going to send it back.. (if anyone has any idea why this would happen.. it only happens when i try and move data between partitions??) ..

does anyone know how much real world performance difference i would get from between an ATA 100 and ATA 133 HD? (my mirrored door G4 takes ATA 133 HDS - but the seagate HD that comes with the computer is only ATA 100).

Does anyway know which makes of HD's are really quiet? the seagate one allready in the computer seems pretty quiet and makes no cliking noises. andy.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
seagate is generally considered to be the quietest brand. i've got one and am very happy with it. i've also got a samsung spinpoint, which is very quiet as well.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
There was another thread on the Maxtor Diamond Plus 9: the noise you are hearing, I believe, is normal. It comes from rapid arm movement, and should top out around 35 decibels.

The quietest drive I've ever listened to is the Hitachi Deskstar (with Fluid Bearings)... the one in the PowerBook Al is dead quiet also.

-Wyrm

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
No real world performance difference between ATA-100 and ATA-133. the bottleneck is the drive, not the bus it is connected to.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
From personal experience (others may have the opposite feelings about this which is fine) I have always been very impressed with Western Digtial drives. They're fast, have a lot of cache (in some models) and have been very reliable for me in the past. As for being quiet, I too have heard that Seagate drives are quite silent, although I can't comment on their quality and reliability.

And bigheadache is absoluely correct - you will not notice a difference between ATA-100 and ATA-133.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.