Some help for MWSF

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rnizlek, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rnizlek macrumors 6502

I'm unbelivably exicted for announcements at MWSF, and ideally, I'd like to sit and watch the live broadcast (or a live updated page such as one site did for WWDC). However, I'm going to be in class at the time the keynote kicks off, and won't have access to a Wi-Fi signal (or be able to get to internet access for some time). I will, however, have access to my cell phone.

Therefore, I'd be most appreciative if someone whose going to be monitoring the conference in real time would be able to text message me a few updates while things are going on - like - "$499 Mac Announced" or "iWork Announced" or just thing like that. It can be done for free through vtext.com or if someone is going to be away from their computer, from any cell phone.

If anyone would like to volunteer I I'd be very greatful to get some live updates while I'm stranded in class. Let me know and I can PM you my cell phone information.

Thanks!

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

You’re going to class during the keynote?! What misplaced priorities you have! ;)

I’m kind of in the same boat. I’ll be in class too, but I’ll have my Powerbook and a WiFi connection. I'm really hoping for an iPod Mini announcement.

Hope someone helps you out. I’m not recommending this, and I’d never do it in a zillion years, but if you have a headset for your phone, you could always just wear a turtleneck, stick the headset earpiece in your ear, and have someone on the other line read the continously refreshed front page of Macrumors to you. (You probably need long hair if you want it to be discreet, though.) ;)

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i'll be in my pre-cal class durin the keynote, o big woopee, isn't that great? eh, and not only that its 3rd period. so it won't be after 4th till i get to run to the library and check to see what has happend :(

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think Jan. 11th, you are going to become real sick and have to stay home :p ;) jk jk It prob won't be live anyway....

5. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

How's this for a raw deal :-(

Those seem like really good ideas. At least you don't have to wake up at 3am - (Sydney time) to watch it!! :p

aussie_geek

6. rnizlek thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm glad I'm not "down under" or Wednesday morning I'd come in with about two hours of sleep. ;)

Of course, if you sleep through the live keynote, at least you won't know what you're missing until you wake up.

Sitting in class, knowing that accross the country Steve Jobs is making his keynote is just going to be frustrating. :mad: At least for WWDC I'm out of school - I spent that event constantly refreshing a web page that someone was updating via a cell phone.

7. 40167 macrumors regular

8. mms macrumors 6502a

How about you concentrate on class and live with it? That's what I'll be doing. I know it sounds harsh, but it's not like knowing about the new products an hour earlier is going to benefit you in any way. I personally get just as much of a thrill opening up apple.com first thing when I get home.

9. rnizlek thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what most of my friends are doing, who have free periods later in the day (the event starts at 12 PM here on the east coast). But I have 3 hours of classes, and then its usually off to work for me till 5 PM or so, sometimes later. And that's assuming I don't take any off duty EMS calls if they come in...

And I'll admit, I'm an impaitent person - I paid for overnight shipping on my PM G5 and for my iPod, along with any other significant purchases. Now I have an Apple store 35 min away (which is not bad - the closest commercial store of any kind is at least a 15 min @ 45 MPH - I'm out in the middle of nowhere). So I was just trying to devise a scheme to figure out what's going on as it happens - I probably wouldn't check my messages till after class anyway.

10. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

i'd volunteer but I have no idea how to send text messages ..

11. rnizlek thread starter macrumors 6502

Go to www.vtext.com, type in my phone number and the message and hit "send." If you really would want to do it, I'll PM you the number.

12. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Sure .. send me a PM with your number and a PM or email the morning of the keynote and i'll do my best ..