Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Australia
Ok so today i was at work and i had some food with me. I accidentally knocked over the coke onto my Macbook Pro Core2Duo. Fortunatly it was one of those Mcdonald cups so like 3 drops went through under the 'P' key.
Now it makes a weird tapping noise and doesn't have the same feel as the other keys. I'm assuming it's just the fact that it's sticky underneath.

So how can i clean it up?
(underneath the P Key)

Excuse my ignorance if it's an easy fix...

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
not an ignorant question at all nor a really "easy fix". I would suggest getting a q-tip, rub between your fingers so it is a little tighter rather than soft for your ear. run it under warm water and then squeeze it so it is not dripping; it should be moist at most. Press down on the keys around the coke key to expose the underneath a bit. Then work under the key with the q-tip, you will need to apply some mild pressure to get it under a bit, but it should not hurt anything. This should be a good first attempt.

Saz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Australia
thanks dude it helped a little. It's still a little different to the other keys but nothing that i s obvious.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
thanks dude it helped a little. It's still a little different to the other keys but nothing that i s obvious.
In what way is it still different, maybe I can offer a fix?

Saz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Australia
In what way is it still different, maybe I can offer a fix?

well u know how smooth it is when you type normally... (the macbook pro keyboards are just perfect and smooth), well when pressing the 'P' it's not as smooth. It's as if it's heavier than the other keys when you press it down.

However i have realised something else. After two days the P key was the way it was again (as in when the coke first spilt in) It was sticky and made a clicking noise everytime i pressed it. So i went under it again with a moist q-tip and it was fine again. But i'm assuming that i'd have to repeat this every two days once the coke drys and becomes sticky again.

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
something similar happened to me a few years ago with a 12" powerbook. I ended up ordering new scissors for the effected keys and popping off the key caps (little nerve racking, but easy enough) and all the keys were like new. I got them from http://www.pbparts.com/ , just search for "scissors" and they should come up. Hope that helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.