some help w/ slow powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jakochampolska, Apr 24, 2006.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I got my 12' powerbook about 5 months ago, and from the day I started using it, its been as slow as a box of rocks. And all I use it safari, itunes, and occansionally photoshop. So what do I do to get it faster? I dont know crap about computers, all I know is the difference between a powerbook and an ipod. SOOOO what do I buy and how do I install it?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

how much RAM do you have?

Go to about this Mac under the apple icon on the top bar.

Then you should repair permissions >>> Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility

3. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont see RAM anywhere, but this is what it says:
    Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,8
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 256 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.0f0

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you have 256MB of RAM that is what Memory is.

And for some reason i am confused. Did you buy this powerbook from an apple store?

Because it should have come with 512MB of RAM.

Go back to About this mac. Click on More Info... Then on the left go to Memory and tell us what it displays there

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

yea 256 sucks, i have a 1 gig in my pb and lets just say i have no complaints

6. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

sorry if its big!

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Did you buy this from apple?

If you did open up the bottom plate (rectangle underneath the computer) with a #0 screwdriver and see if there is a chip in there. (do that even if you didn't) just to make sure it is in securely or if it is there at all.

8. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah!!! I bought it from the apple site!

9. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I may be wrong but..... doesn't the 12" pb come (or used to come) with only 256mb soldered in? Making this a stock pb?

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Call Apple now and get it sorted out.

It Should have come with 512MB of RAM

Either it isn't in there, or it is not in securely or a lower RAM failure.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

No the 1.5Ghz Revision D powerbook came with 512MB standard.

12. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

OH MY GOD!!!! I remember that I bought this after the last revision!!!
    What a rip off!! I cant belivie this! Do you think I'd be able to get a replacement??

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

umm the RAM may just not be in securely. Open up the bottom (With the power off) and take out the ram that is there (follow manual) (if it is there) then put it back in (very firm pressure)

If you do that and it still does recognize in the computer or if there is no RAM in there call apple.

And if there is no RAM there Apple will probably ship you a stick for free or if it is a lower RAM slot failure it will need to be sent in for repair.

May i now take the time to recommend AppleCare to you?

14. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

the problem is that, I dont have a #0 phillips screwdriver!!! I tried opening it with a #1 screwdriver (the only one I have) and it wont do the job! I'm going to call apple anyway and talk to them (see if they help me without applecare)

and I cant get applecare because my parents are cheap and wont spend anymore money on me and I dont have an cash anyways :(

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well inform them that if anything happens with the computer after one year they will be paying A LOT OF MONEY that will make them pay a little amount of money now compared to possible up to a thousand or more later.

And just so you know Apple is going to tell you to open up the bottom of the computer so don't call till you have that screwdriver

Or bring it into an apple store

16. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

SO, I called apple and they told me to take the RAM out and I found a screwdriver (surpisingly) and I took it out, turned on the computer, and it still showed up as 256mb (which is normal without the extra ram) but when I put the ram back in it was still 256mb. So I have to take it to the apple store and get it checked out. He said its either a problem with the slot or the ram.
    But those anyone know what would they do if its the slot? how would they repair that?

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

They would probably replace the slot if it is the slot, or if it is the RAM they would just replace that.

At the most i think they would replace the logic board if it is the logic board problem not noticing the RAM

I am glad we were able to get your computer situated, and when you get the 512MB of RAM your computer should be much faster. may consider upping it even more.

And remember about applecare

18. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

OH OH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously if it werent for you I'd be going around with a slow ass powerbook!
    Actaully I was hoping it'd be something wrost so they could replace my whole computer and maybe hook me up with a Macbook Pro. But I can keep dreaming hahaha.