Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Ok, I just got a copy of suitcase fusion and installed it no problem. But I'm confused on how to organize my fonts through the program.

-Should I allow extensis to control my system fonts? That scares me a bit.
-What's the best way to install all my fonts and get them into the extensis vault? (right now they're all on a CD waiting to be installed)

I've been using extensis for a while and I like it fine, but this is the first time I've actually had to set it up myself. In the past it's always been on a work computer where the fonts were installed already.

Thanks!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I don't have a problem with letting Suitcase handle system fonts. It tends to only flag duplicates anyway.

As far as installing goes, you can create a folder somewhere like Documents, call it X's Fonts, copy your entire font library into there and then browse and activate them from Suitcase using sets if you want to.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Here's one I forgot to ask:

If I use fusion to import the fonts, will the program place on my hard drive wherever it keeps the vault, or will it run them from the CD that I have them on?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Ah, OK. The Vault is a new thing and this is where it lives after installation:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Extensis/Suitcase/

If you're going to use it (which you don't have to do), then it will copy the fonts and any metadata into the Vault, as far I can make out.

Personally, I wouldn't use it but that's because I'm a bit old-skool.

If I were you, I'd install the software and read the Help or any documentation that came with the software. ;)

If it's legal software, then I highly reccomend registering it and signing up on Extensis's site for support and downloads.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Ah, OK. The Vault is a new thing and this is where it lives after installation:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Extensis/Suitcase/

If you're going to use it (which you don't have to do), then it will copy the fonts and any metadata into the Vault, as far I can make out.

Personally, I wouldn't use it but that's because I'm a bit old-skool.

If I were you, I'd install the software and read the Help or any documentation that came with the software. ;)

If it's legal software, then I highly reccomend registering it and signing up on Extensis's site for support and downloads.

Yeah, thanks. It is legal, and its been registered. I've read through the start-up guide that came with it, but it didn't answer these questions, which is why I'm asking them here. I was hoping to figure out how the whole thing worked before dumping all my fonts on the computer and making a mess.

The vault looks like it might be helpful for non-system fonts. Especially if they're stored somewhere other than the OS font folder. That way the system fonts stay put and don't get messed with and I can use my library for everything else when I need it.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.