Some Ideas for iTunes & Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chuckles, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Chuckles macrumors member

Jan 25, 2006
    I recently got addicted to Battlestar Galatica and (as of tonight) Lost. Apple's going to be making a small fortune off of me the next few weeks. :rolleyes:

For some reason, I'm very creative when I'm tired. I purchased the first Lost episode (thus, getting addicted) earlier tonight and came up with a few ideas.

1. iTunes needs a download manager. I wanted to purchase and download more then one show at once. Something like the download manager in Firefox would be perfect. It could also show an estimated completion time and download speed. This would be great for Podcasts as well. I find that it slows down the already slow iTunes on Windows when it randomly downloads Podcasts.

2. Faster download speeds. I've downloaded high-def episodes (whether it was legal or not I'm leaving for you to decide :p ) that were just as long in the same time, maybe even shorter. A nice idea would be to have a system based on Bittorrent (only for movie downloads of course, songs are small enough to download quickly). You could upload as you download, maybe even have some kind of seeding system. This could be built off of the download manager.

3. Add a search field to the video store and better integrate it into iTunes. I always have a bit of trouble finding my way around the video store because of this. Rename the music search to "Content Search," just little things like that.

4. High-def version bundled with iPod version. This is probably far off, but wouldn't it be awesome? If there were a Bittorrent based system like suggested above, it would be easier (and faster) then you think.

5. Open up the DRM to Quicktime and maybe even other players. On Windows PC's, iTunes is pretty power hungry. Sometimes I don't feel like firing up iTunes or am doing something else power hungry. It would be cool to just have to open up Quicktime.

6. Open up Quicktime to more formats like VLC Player.

7. Let us "non-pro" users watch our movies full-screen!

Hope you guys like my ideas. Have anything you would like to add?
  2. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    well, there is a pretty simple script you can run to 'defeat' this in quicktime. it sometimes seems like an extra and unnecessary step. but certainly an easy fix.
  3. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    iTunes goes full screen ,as does front row

but like said before QT scripts if you want to use QT to view