Some in G.O.P. Say Iran Threat Is Played Down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 23, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the here we go again department:
    "did we have evidence that iran was involved in these activities?"
    "it depends on your definition of 'evidence'".

great.

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

also from the article:
    Fear. 24/7.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So do you think Michael Crichton was on to something when he wrote his last book?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well it's a good thing Newt's opinion has less weight than, say John Murtha or John Kerry.

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

North Korea could DHL a 'nuke' directly to the WhiteHouse and with all the confusion going on at the moment, it'd probably make it there too....

... it's getting to be a case of "no we're not paranoid - THEY really are out to get us!"

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Iran is no where near getting the bomb until 2008 at the earliest. So I say relax and live life to the fullest; go to some parties and live it up, because come 2008, we're all dead.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- they're getting ready for election time.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, he was just focused on the wrong thing.

Incidentally, here's the report.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So... when Iran DOES get the bomb and they use it on Tel Aviv, what will the Dems response be? "Gee, why didn't you GOPers do something to prevent this from happening?"

That's the problem with trying to be proactive (e.g., stop Iran from getting the bomb in the first place) versus reactive (e.g., cleaning up the mess after the bomb goes off). It's like the recent airline crisis with the explosive liquids... people are quick to label the entire thing a political maneuever, but the FACT is that 11 of the guys had recorded martyrdom videos and they had bomb-making equipment in their possession.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any preemptive strike on Iran would almost certainly make the danger to the US and its allies greater. Just look how a little local difficulty in Lebanon has inflamed opinion.

FACT is nothing until after the court case.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're another believer in the 1% doctrine?

So when there are no WMDs in Iraq, what is the Repub response going to be?

There you go again, assuming that because we don't support your view that we WANT Iran to have a nuke. Implicit in that assumption is that only through military force will you get Iran to give up there bomb aspirations.

And that is where you are dead wrong.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, let's focus on piss-ant politics rather than the real problem, the Bush administration's fumbling disorganized approach to state-craft has resulted in the US being completely impotent in this situation.

We haven't been able to keep Pakistan or North Korea from getting the bomb, what in the hell makes Iran suddenly different?
    Face it, we're screwed, Iran's getting the bomb and they'll have a medium-range system to deploy it.

However, they won't, because they know Israeli's retaliation will be immediate and even overwhelming; the Israelis have been very quiet about the own nuclear program, but they have one.

There are some holes to the story about the 11, including the 'liquid bomb' which is technically difficult according to some, the lack of passports to travel, and the initial statement by the British police that these men had been tracked for months before their arrest.
    After years of fear, we're starting to get used to it and we're becoming increasingly distrustful of the government and it's use of warnings. Lots of people noticed that alerts tended to come at politically opportune times. Remember all the accussations that Clinton was 'wagging the dog' when he ordered the air-strikes on Serbian forces in Kosovo. It comes around.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Here's another fact, the British authorities just let two of the 24 men go.

Link

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

When?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Isn't it obvious? There are only 2 ways to handle this. If we aren't for further stretching what little military resources we have left in an unprovoked attacked with little evidence or justification, we obviously want to be blown up by terrorists somehow.

Yeah, um, fool me once, shame on me... try to fool me twice, can't fool me again.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush & his team of draft dodger have screwed up on Iraq so bad, .... The U.S. was taken for a ride and terrorism after Bush & gang has increased a thousand fold. I have no faith in this president in much of anything for the most part. I just hope he doesnt do something stupid before this term is up. Have another war and stay in power? We need a few more democrats with back bones in congress these days.

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you just copy and paste these responses?

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Can you tell?:D Fact is this admistration has no credibility. I still hold my head in shame knowing I once voted for this guy:(

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Well you are right, but I see one more "Bush and his draft-dodging buddies" out of you, fella, there will be hell to pay. ;) :D

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Eh, it's no worse than those "ball-bearing laden rockets" comments.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This Iran issue is going to backfire with North Korea. The Bush admin will have no choice but to talk (they seem to hate that) with Kim Jong (Mentally) Ill. ;) as some put it. Oh the Axis of evil. What a nice label to put on a few countries. Iran is doing god's work, America is doing god's work. So is god toying with us? Or maybe there are a lot of gods who are competing with each other. Back to the point. The strategy for Repubs is to play the terror card over and over and just beat that dead horse.. er donkey. The strat. for the Dems is to condem Bush's action on Katrina, condemn the Iraq situation. Both will only repel more Americans from voting. We seriously need new parties...

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or, at least in my case, drive us to vote for the other person we normally wouldn't have bothered to. ;)