Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Fully agreed. "DiWorsification" is the term I was told...

But, will Apple find quality people to fill up that new campus?

My friend's first generation phone started doing this, iOS 4, I think. It never did it when it was mine, but I think the battery is wearing out. It IS first generation after all. Frankly, every computing device I've ever used that has power saving features has had major wake up failures at least a few times. Mac, pc, phone ...

I finally bought a replacement for my iPhone 4... And here I am with an appointment with Apple genius critters tomorrow to try exchanging it for one with a uniform screen (this one is warm on the left and cool on the right; as s photographer, I see it, it bothers me, and I'm spending a LOT of money on this (as well as planning an iPad Pro purchase).

AH HAH! That explains why two of the four iPad Pro units were dead when I went to try out the Pro!

There's lots of talent, and growing, the trouble is getting them to work for you vs your competitor.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
Has Apple (in recent history) ever had a very significant issue with the products they shipped? I'm not talking about things like bendgate or the whole "which chip is in your iPhone 6s" kind of thing; I mean substantial.
Bendgate was not a significant issue? What about antenna gate (iphone 4)?

Frank Black

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Rochester, ny
My iPad pro locked up after the first overnight charge. I did the hard reset and then when i charged it the second time, I just happen to pick it up when it hit 99% charged and watched it as it hit 100%, and it did not lock up. I have also plugged it in at work and had it charge up to around 88% and it did not lock up. I have not plugged it in to charge overnight again to see if letting it sit plugged in all night after reaching 100% is causing the lock up. Other than that, everything seems to work great, loving the bigger screen. Kinda bummed that I have to wait 4 weeks

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have just experienced the same thing with the iPad Air, which was plugged to charge and not in use. When I tried "waking it up" by pressing the home button, nothing happened, but after the hard restart - all back to normal. Most likely the software (9.1) issue, as I have never experienced it before, whereas all the iPad Pros came out with it pre-installed, hence their higher "contamination" rate.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Overworked/tired is usually due to lack of staffing which is my reasoning. Leadership can be part of a staffing issue too. I've seen way too many employees in my career that simply had no manager and were hung under a higher manager that maybe saw them once a year for review cycle.

Read the book.

If you just add more people, the overworked people now have to still get the same amount of work done AND get the new people up to speed/answer their questions/have more meetings to get everyone on the same page (all things that reduce overall throughput). By the time the new people are as productive as the existing, the project is over or redefined, causing yet another cycle of this.

The "throw people at it" thing is just poor management overall for software development. Works in hard products (think assembly workers) where the employees are following the same recipe from step 1 to finish. Software is different.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Read the book.

If you just add more people, the overworked people now have to still get the same amount of work done AND get the new people up to speed/answer their questions/have more meetings to get everyone on the same page (all things that reduce overall throughput). By the time the new people are as productive as the existing, the project is over or redefined, causing yet another cycle of this.

The "throw people at it" thing is just poor management overall for software development. Works in hard products (think assembly workers) where the employees are following the same recipe from step 1 to finish. Software is different.

I totally understand you can't throw people into a project. I also understand it takes resources to train them. But this can easily be managed! Unfortunately, managers aren't always well trained in this task. I was a PM of 3 cycles of software project before moving in to a TPM role that needed immediate support for multi-million dollar tech upgrades.

One strategy:
1 - Finish current project while HR hires new software associates. Have them work on self-training, non-critical defects, etc.
2 - Once project is finished, dedicate few resources to train new associates
3 - Start new project with extra help

To do this mid-cycle is a little harder. You have to ensure you aren't already overstaffed. Once all your workers are over 40-50 hours a week it is too late to make significant changes that won't affect the scope.

Hankrut

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2015
I think it has required a hard-reset each time it's been left to charge for a couple hours.
Just charged the iPad Pro for about 4 hours...this is the 5th or 6th charge since owning it and the iPad was unresponsive I had to do a hard- restart too. With all the accessories I have over $1400 in this iPad and look at this, what a shame. I have faith in Apple however and expect to see a fix for this soon.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I totally understand you can't throw people into a project. I also understand it takes resources to train them. But this can easily be managed! Unfortunately, managers aren't always well trained in this task. I was a PM of 3 cycles of software project before moving in to a TPM role that needed immediate support for multi-million dollar tech upgrades.

One strategy:
1 - Finish current project while HR hires new software associates. Have them work on self-training, non-critical defects, etc.
2 - Once project is finished, dedicate few resources to train new associates
3 - Start new project with extra help

To do this mid-cycle is a little harder. You have to ensure you aren't already overstaffed. Once all your workers are over 40-50 hours a week it is too late to make significant changes that won't affect the scope.

Personally I put complacency ahead of any possibility of open seat issues at Apple. They've been told they are the best, they believe the leadership is the best, so they don't put enough work into real testing.

The engineers and testers use the product and don't have any issues. The head guys use the product and don't have any issues. The whole time they are just testing the subset of functions that are in use at Apple, ignoring the fact the real world is never one enterprise's use case because well.. "We are the best".

They probably have a majority of testers on the latest generation (or newer) of products and they probably do more "restore from backups" instead of upgrades through the product line like real users. So they miss a lot of bugs there that we find out here. (ever notice how many "fixes" are "restore from backup and try again")

They have enough people to do it right, I just think they are too happy with themselves to care beyond that. Anything else is "the user's fault for using it the wrong way".

Thats a bug friendly environment no matter how many asses in chairs you have.

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
Happened to me for the first time today, charged overnight (not the first time), and was unresponsive. Had to do the hard reset. I purchased it a week prior to this past monday.

festeleft

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Happened to me for the first time today, charged overnight (not the first time), and was unresponsive. Had to do the hard reset. I purchased it a week prior to this past monday.

Just started happening with me as well last night. The only thing I did different yesterday was that I turned on the iCloud Photo Library (which is normally turned on for other devices)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Personally I put complacency ahead of any possibility of open seat issues at Apple. They've been told they are the best, they believe the leadership is the best, so they don't put enough work into real testing.

The engineers and testers use the product and don't have any issues. The head guys use the product and don't have any issues. The whole time they are just testing the subset of functions that are in use at Apple, ignoring the fact the real world is never one enterprise's use case because well.. "We are the best".

They probably have a majority of testers on the latest generation (or newer) of products and they probably do more "restore from backups" instead of upgrades through the product line like real users. So they miss a lot of bugs there that we find out here. (ever notice how many "fixes" are "restore from backup and try again")

They have enough people to do it right, I just think they are too happy with themselves to care beyond that. Anything else is "the user's fault for using it the wrong way".

Thats a bug friendly environment no matter how many asses in chairs you have.

I've always done a 'setup as new iPhone' after an upgrade. I don't want to carry over any prior iOS settings that may not be found in the next iOS release.

Just like my linux prod servers. I launch a new VM, configure it, then move all the data over, and decommission the old one. Less headaches.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I've always done a 'setup as new iPhone' after an upgrade. I don't want to carry over any prior iOS settings that may not be found in the next iOS release.

Just like my linux prod servers. I launch a new VM, configure it, then move all the data over, and decommission the old one. Less headaches.

Average people don't do that. Apple sells iPhones to very much "average" people. They should program for/test like one. They know what settings/APIs/code they removed/added better than anyone, consequences of that should be handled properly in the update package. No excuse to the contrary is valid.

jw77777

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Anyone contact Apple Support for any more information on this? Every time I speak to them, they sound surprised about this issue. (It's still occurring for me, since day 1 of having my iPad Pro).

Netrox

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2015
I have the issue with 32GB iPad PRo and also 128 iPad Pro. Same issue - it happens if you recharge overnight and the next morning, it's totally unresponsive. Yes, it requires a hard reset and I get 100% too.

That is quite annoying as a hard reset will also wipe out TouchID login for stores requiring login/password.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Average people don't do that. Apple sells iPhones to very much "average" people. They should program for/test like one. They know what settings/APIs/code they removed/added better than anyone, consequences of that should be handled properly in the update package. No excuse to the contrary is valid.

That's horse crap. The only thing Apple DOES wrong is not educate the customer on expectations. Back in 2005/2006 Apple retail stores were amazing. You actually had sales staff that would spend 30+ minutes with you. Now all Apple cares about is churning out new models down peoples throats.

See - if I did a restore from backup each model I bought, I'd have every single iPhone model config in my backup. That's just BAD in any case - smart phone, computer, whatever. You should ALWAYS do a clean install on new model phone, tablet, computer, server, etc.

A restore from backup IS MEANT for restoring your existing device or similar. Meaning, some new app crashed your device and you want to restore it back to what it was before that new app installed. If the hardware failed, then you restore it on the same model of hardware. That's why Apple provides you with an iPhone 16GB from AT&T if your bad phone was a 16GB from AT&T.

While a restore from backup MAY work on a new device, it isn't always recommended for the reasons I mentioned. If you argue that, then you are simply part of the problem.

The lack of expectations and education towards consumers is why companies are failing at customer service.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
While a restore from backup MAY work on a new device, it isn't always recommended for the reasons I mentioned. If you argue that, then you are simply part of the problem.

The lack of expectations and education towards consumers is why companies are failing at customer service.

The "reset and restore from backup" is something that people have to go through when dealing with Apple Support on a phone call before they get the green light on a replacement device for a defective one.

It's not me arguing for it.

My point is that is a half-assed, lazy way to handle update problems when the company in question has such a end-to-end grip on the experience.

Apple has become a half-assed, lazy company in some respects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.